MS-2 review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Marshall: MS-2

Price paid: € 50

I am using an Epiphone SG Special, but I don't think that it really effects the sound really much. It does not completely suit my music style, so playing something like AC/DC does work, playing Metallica doesn't sound good. The clean channel distorts on higher volumes so it has a light distortion, which I actually like because it sounds good for playing blues. Some people might not like that. You can tweak the sound a bit with the tone-knob and with your guitar's pickup selector and tone knobs. The distortion is not brutal, it does blues, rock and hard rock, but not metal. The sound isn't bad compared to its size, but it's nothing compared to a real amp.

I play hard rock and thrash metal (like AC/DC, RATM, Audioslave, Metallica, ...) and some blues. It only doesn't suit to metal. It is loud enough for practising and jamming with Acoustic guitars and blues harps. I compared it with the Fender Mini amp and a Marshall MS-4, but I liked this one's sound better. Anyways I'm satisfied with it.

Well, I don't think anyone would use this amp for gigging, besides as a stage gag. It didn't broke down, but if the battery is nearly drained, it sounds really horrible and stops making sounds in random time periods. It has been dropped a few times by some of my uncareful friends, but it didn't do any damage on it.

It is a really small and portable amp with 1W, 2 channels, tone and volume knobs, a headphone jack and a belt-clip. It's powered by a 9V battery. I only miss some more distortion, maybe better possibilities to tweak the sound and a smaller headphone jack, but it's a really tiny amp and doesn't cost much, so what do you expect? I bought it for school to Jam around with other friends Who play guitar and to play everywhere I want to. It does that what I got it for.

Slap-happy
    Dave Grohl wrote Everlong using one of these. This was in an interview in a UK guitar magazine (now no longer published) that was out shortly after the release of The Colour and the Shape.