MS-2 review by Marshall

Marshall: MS-2

Purchased from: Colbecks Music Store

At first I was mighty impressed at how loud this amp was, considering it's a tiny 1 Watt pocket amp, it certainly packs a punch and is definitely loud enough to fill a room at home when cranked. This amp gets a lot of criticism from people over its sound, but come on... It's a tiny 1 Watt amp. It has more of a novelty factor to it that as a practical amp, I mean look at it... It's a mini Marshall stack! Most of my guitars have humbuckers on them and the clean channel does distort at high volumes, however turning the volume back a bit does sort this out. The distortion channel is not the greatest distortion in the world, but for 26 its good enough for sitting on your sofa and whacking out some great licks... It's a relatively low-gain amp, so probably not your best choice of amplifier for death metal fans. Of course you're never gonna be recording with it, and why? That's not what it was made for... The MS-2 is great to just pop by your sofa or computer so you have an amp handy when you just want to plug in and Jam something, it's just a bit of fun!

I play a wide variety of music, from blues and classic rock, through to head-crushing metal. I use this amp a lot when I'm checking out tabs on my PC, as my amps are upstairs and my PC is downstairs, the last thing I want to be doing is lugging around my combo amps just to check out some riffs, so this little amp is really handy to just have by the computer. Everyone should have one, they're so much fun and what could be better than owning your own tiny little Marshall stack!

I certainly wouldn't be gigging with this thing... Like I said, that's not what it was made for, it's a great amp for home-use and is a bit of fun. The amp itself feels pretty well made for the price, everything is sturdy and nothing is loose or creaks. It hasn't gone wrong on me yet... Let's see if it lives up to the Marshall name!

These things have been going for years and they're just so much fun... The MS-2 has two channels; Clean and Overdrive which are switched from the Power On/Off knob. The front panel is nice and basic and other than the power knob, features a volume and tone knob, along with the standard 1/4 inch jack input. The amp also sports a 1/4 inch headphone socket, which when you plug in headphones; mutes the internal speaker. This is nice because the amp is small enough to use as a simple headphone amp - great for practising at 2:00 in the morning! The best feature of this amp has to be the belt clip, what could be cooler than walking around, with your guitar 'round your neck and this thing clipped to your belt! The amp can be powered by either a 9V battery or an external power supply, if it's gonna be sat on your desk a lot, I'd invest in a power supply as they can run down batteries pretty quickly. Of course if you intend to have it clipped to your belt a lot, a battery is a must have! The one thing that is missing from this amp is a separate gain knob, which the larger MS-4 does feature. It would be nice to be able to crank the gain without having to have the volume turned up, although I guess being loud isn't always a bad thing...