MS-4 review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Marshall: MS-4

I use a Jackson JS30DK Dinky with stock humbucker pickups. At first I used 9V batteries and the sound was awfull, specially the overdrive channel, but when I bought a DC9V adapter it really improved the sound quality, gave a big volume boost, and it cleaned the sound, I don't know why! The clean channel is "clean" as long as you don't turn the volume to 10 (maximum). Since I bought the adapter it started to make some noise when I wasn't playing but it stops as soon as you hit a string. It wasn't made to make CD's but it's great to practice at home.

As I said you can't make a CD with this amp, but if you want a "good" practice amp this is a great choice, it doesn't matter the style of music you play. I played for 1 year but believe me I understand a lot about music and music gear. I have an acoustic guitar and another electric guitar wich I don't use a lot. If it was stolen I would safe enogh money to buy a better amplifier.

I wouldn't use to play in front of an audience, not because it could break, but it hasn't got the best sound. It didn't brake yet, but notice that I only have it for a month or two. I don't think it will brake for the next 3 or 4 years because it is a small "box", and it has the size of a radio.

I don't know when it was made, but I bought it this year (2008). It as 3 knobs, gain, volume, tone and an on/off switch. If you want overdrive simply turn the gain up. I play rock music, from '70s rock to '90s grunge and it does the trick. I remind you that it is a practice amp, so I'll rate it as so.

prt1990
    viljoenkoos wrote: I actually used the MS4 to gig once!! If you mic it up, it sound really heavy
    I wish I was there. You can get a mini Orange combo (1 watt) for a pretty good price... I haven't heard it myself but it's had pretty good reviews.