Valvestate 100 review by Marshall

Marshall: Valvestate 100

Purchased from: Online Auction

I'm using this through a mix and match RG3120/RG320. It's a prestige neck on the RG320 flame maple body with the all the prestige fittings and tremolo, lo-pro in this case. The amp will go extremely loud as it is 100W and delivers some great harmonics on each of the three channels. To my ears the clean is beautiful, rather bell like when boosted in the mids and bass, though some argue it's a little rough. The settings on the amp include two overdrives and when I plugged in first time I was expecting more brunt from a Marshall, but the whole amp grows on you and the Overdrive quickly becomes sweet and melodic, especially for ballads and sweeping. Harmonics are also very easy to obtain but a small boost from a pedal or two will help the amp gain a sharper distortion. OD1 I find is better for solo work as it's more clean and defined though pinched harmonics are a little harder. OD2 is great for fast rhythm sections or shredding. The valve emulator is great and really warms up your playing and works wonders with less mid and treble for fast arpeggios. The amp will not play the music for you, but mastering the lesser distortion will make your playing sound alot nicer which is why I love this amp.

Before I bought this I was playing a Squier Telecaster though a bass amp with a beaten up DS1, home scalloped I might add. After I bought my Ibanez it had to be replaced and this couldn't of been a better replacement. I play '80s metal, intrumental rock, speed metal and thrash along with some classical stuff. For all of these this amp suits them fine, the volume controls on each channel perfect for a quick change to a sharper solo sound in Whitesnake ballads. Right now I'm running the Ibanez through a Black Cat Moan Wah pedal, a DS-1 and a Zoom GFX1 into the amp, with a stomp box footswitch. If it were stolen I'd probably buy another, or maybe check out the 8080 as 100W was a little excessive. I wish it had a more varied distortion with a few delay settings but I guess the AVT's follow that path. Overall a great amp that gets the job done, especially with a more refined player.

It's a Marshall so it's going to survive quite a few gigs before breaking down. Mine's had a few knocks but nothing spectacular and it's held up without backups at many a gig. Cautious players may want to bring a backup, but to me nothing will have the same sound as this beauty apart from another! So until I buy another I'm going solo with this.

The amp itself I believe was made around ten years ago and so it's been worn in nicely before I purchased it - complete with a few nicks and tears. The amp has three channels (Clean, OD1, OD2) each with a nice sound to them. The clean has a seperate equalisation which is handy and each setting has it's own reverb channel to boot. Although many would think it's a bit bland on th effects front it's perfect for what I use it for as I use a Zoom GFX1 for all my delay needs. Each channel also has its own volume so it's great for a fast switch to a solo.

SLAYTANIC417
    FIRST THINGS LAST IF YOU THINK THAT ANY AMP HAS BETTER MARSHALL CRUNCH THAN MARSHALL THAN YOU MUST BE DEAF!!! JIM MARSHALL INVENTED CRUNCH, FOUR SPEAKER CABINETS, AND NOW HAS CREATED A CLEAN CHANNEL. THERE WOULD BE NO STACK HALF STACK OR CRUNCH WITHOUT MARSHALL. mesa is like IBM CLONE OF AMPS