Valvestate 8080 review by Marshall

Marshall: Valvestate 8080

I use a Gibson SG Special Faded with stock pickups, with the amp it sounds great, although I want to get higher gain pickups for it. And I also use an ESP/LTD V-250 (very rare or very old I don't know I can't find any on the internet) King V shaped thing with a DiMarzio super distortion in the bridge. The V-250 overdrives the clean channel if you turn the amp up a bit cos after all it is a super distortion! Sounds amazing in boost channel but I have to turn the bass off 'cause the pickup is very bassy, and even with the bass knob turned to 0 I still get an amazing sound. As I also run my pc from the same plug as my amp hums a bit, but in other situations such as band practice where I have my own plug no hum can be heard. I haven't even tried to make any other settings on the amp because I'm so pleased with the ones I have, but the person who owned this previously played blues n said the amp is very good but he got a new half stack so gave me this.

I play metal, progressive, rock, anything basically. Very good match except for the fact that the clean channel isn't valve. I have been playing for 3 years and also own a DS-2, EQ-7 and a Morley Bad Horsie, these pedals work in harmony with the amp. If it were stolen I would probably buy a Marshall AVT150 half-stack because they do not sell or make these anymore. I have to say the only bad thing about the amp is it's heavyness, takes for ever to bring to a friend's house to jam. I love this amp, however I wouldn't mind a JCM combo instead, but only if I could afford it.

Super reliable never broken down or anything in those 15 years, how ever I want to get a new pre-amp tube for it seeing as tubes get older their sound fades or something and I want more distortion anyway. As this is my only big amp I use it without backup. I used to use the school's avt 50 which was valve but that was totally poor in terms of controlling the sound, you could not control the effects mix or anything. This amp wins by far. Seeing as it's almost as old as me and is super reliable I'll give it a ten.

2 channel half solid, half valve amp. Has gain, bass, mid, treble controls on normal channel, as well as a crunch button/switch. Channel select button, gain, bass mid, treble, contour, volume and od1/2 switch/button. Front located effects loop(very helpful, no need to fiddle around the back of the amp) with a -20 or 0 dB switch/button for the effects. Effects mix, reverb level, master volume. It's 1/2 and 1/2 because the "normal" channel is solid state, despite that you can still get extremely good clean sounds out of it, if you turn the gain down to about 1-4 and turn master volume up(then ofcourse you would have to turn the volume on the boost channel down). Seeing as the "boost" channel contains a valve (or so it sounds) you have to turn the amp slightly louder than practice volume to get it to roar. Excellent controls, I have the contour on 10 all the time seeing as I like my sound trebly. I have never dared to put this amp on full as half way as defenetly enough, even for a big pub. I wish it had a volume control on the clean channel as well as a gain one, that would make this amp pro. It doesn't have a headphone jack cos you'd go deaf if you were to plug one in. Does have a line-out (totally pointless never use it, always mic the amp up) and a footswitch jack. The footswitch I got is a 2 button one. One button for channel another for reverb. Shame there weren't reverb controls for each induvidual channel or a reverb boost or something (extra rev in solos). But I can't complain my best friends dad's friend gave this to me so yeh this amp kicks ass.

Metal_Chees3mz
    sottpwn
    Hopefully getting this amp on saturday second hand for 100...bargin I reckon. Sounds great from the reviews. Thanks for the info guys.
    Death-Reaper
    Spirit_Crusher
    Metal_Chees3mz wrote: I think its this amp or actually i think its the next up in this series that Chuck Schuldiner of the legendary band Death. One of the godfather's of Death metal and just all around amazing guitarist and just a great person.
    chuck used the half stack version of this amp
    froddy_92
    I bought this amp second hand, and as soon as I plugged it in I just loved it. I'm an average player, that play with a SX (cheap) guitar. But with this amp my guitar sound sooo good. I mostly play classic rock; like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy etc. And thnx to the CONTOUR knob on the panel, you can get the perfect sound needed, I rarely even use my zoom g2 Great amp for its size and price tag. BUY IT IF U CAN
    froddy_92
    I bought mine For roughly 200 USD, but its probably worth a LOT more
    lorrythebassguy
    froddy_92 wrote: I bought mine For roughly 200 USD, but its probably worth a LOT more Death-Reaper wrote: What's the overall price paid when bought secondhand? Because I want one as well, but they haven't got it in store.
    my 8280 2x12 was 90 it was perfect except for two nobs missing which i replaced for 2! I think mine is in need of a new tube though... any recommendations