Valvestate 8080 review by Marshall

Marshall: Valvestate 8080

Price paid: A$ 500

Purchased from: Billy Hyde

A couple of guitars, love my little Charvel with StewMac golden oldie pickup, to original PAF '59 specs (ala evh). Also have a MIM Fender with StewMac golden oldie single coils, Vintage 57 spec again. Have CIJ Fender Jaguar (with SD SJAG1 pickups) and Les Paul Studio stock. I like to boost in my amps, not my pickups, so if I want extra crunch I boost into the amp with a Tube Screamer, mainly volume slight gain. This pushes the preamp tubes beautifully and you can get some nice sounds. Reverb on it is ok, but if playing Surf I use a separate reverb on the fx loop. Not really noisy on it's own, but when pre-boosted it gets the usual hiss. The Clean channel is ok, but that's about it, it doesn't strike me as a good clean sound. I use it for putting my Metal Muff through when playing Slayer etc. With all my other toys I can get good sounds out of it for home use, and it can hold it's own against any drummer. Surf is the really only challenge.

This amp fits my style(s) nicely in that it has a Marshal tube pre-amp which has nice tones. Been playing since 1984 when I heard 'Hot for Teacher'. Own guitars mentioned above, and play a bit of bass but only with a practise amp. This amp has done most things I want to toy with. I would not replace this amp, as these days I can afford an all-tube amp, so would go down that track. But for the money, these things are cheap and give you nice Marshall tube pre-amp. Really good value, would recommend this as the next amp to buy after your practice amp to get some nice tube sounds.

I can depend on it to shuffle it into the boot when going to mates places, haven't gigged so can't say. Seems reliable, altho I had to get it serviced after leaving it 3 years in my old mans she'd when I was overseas, the pots got crackly and the volume kept going up and down (don't know what it was, they only charged me $70 tho).

Bought this amp new with my first paycheck after Uni back in 1993 and had it ever since. I like the amp because I can get the basic sounds I want out of it to play my music. I'm an old EVH fan, so love that type of hard rock and mid-eighties metal. Play surf, like SRV, into Jazz just slightly. Slayer. Into most things really. When I try to write it comes out like old cowboy songs. 2 switchable channels, Clean (with crunch option) and Dirty (with extra boost option). Effects loop for both pedal and rack line level. Pretty much got a good set of features to play around with, love the contour knob as you can dial up many sounds. Tube preamp only on the dirty channel, poweramp is Solidstate. Only the one Celestion speaker but can get freakin loud especially if you boost into the amp. I only play for fun with friends and don't gig.

Maxpaynner
    I want to buy this amp, a guy is selling it for 150 (200US$), and i'm totally buying it. I use a ibanez RG (wich i'm going to upgrade with EMG pickups) wnd thi's amp would just be perfect for me.
    mdc_rules
    Well, I bought this amp last december off of craigslist. It hasnt really been very reliable. I took it to a show up in portland, and It wouldnt play. Im getting a half stack soon though. Way more reliable than this. Its hard for me to find that "right" tone with this amp. all and all, id rate it about a 6/10
    tyron abrahamse
    Yo sup. The only thing that the valvestate struggles with, well that i find, is the it doesn't handle really frequencies. Such as my Jackson RR24 I have tuned to drop A, and the valvestate cannot amplify some of the lower signals when in distionion, it sounds clean. But as for standard tuning, i have no idea why they dont make a shit load more for the world!!!
    daimjagv12
    I bought mine new back in 95. i have had 100% relibility from it i play mostly blues ,rock, country through a srv strat ,335 , tele and prs custom all giving a real variety this the amp punches out my only regret is i would have liked a 8280 for the dual speaker chorus ,but hey ho aint nothing you cant solve with a korg fx box,
    volks
    If I bought a 4 switch pedal, would it switch between all 4 channels? Thanks
    Pingis_Or_Death
    No. Chuck used the valvestate 8100.
    Pingis_Or_Death
    Pingis_Or_Death wrote: Spirit_Crusher wrote: Metal_Chees3mz wrote: I think its this amp or actually i think its the next up in this series that Chuck Schuldiner of the legendary band Death. One of the godfather's of Death metal and just all around amazing guitarist and just a great person. chuck used the half stack version of this amp No. Chuck used the valvestate 8100.
    But it's basically the same amp anyways afaik, just more watts (i'd assume...)
    lakicguitar
    I have one of these and I love the damn thing... I payed 350 Euros for it. I play a 79' anniversary model Fender Stratocaster and it sounds awesome on the crunch channel...
    MaggaraMarine
    Do these things have a good Marshall sound? Because I have an opportunity to trade my Micro Cube for Marshall 8040. And I want to know if this deal is great and if I should go for it. I know it's a pretty good deal but do I get the Marshall sound I want with the 8040? Or is it more like some MG that I didn't like that much, reminds me of a Marshall but is way too harsh and unclear sounding.