Valvestate 8080 review by Marshall

Marshall: Valvestate 8080

Price paid: € 150

Purchased from: A friend's audio shop

Manufactured in Great Britain, Valvestate amplification (uses a single valve in the preamp to get a valve feeling, although everything else is solid state), equalization on the boost channel is good with a gain, bass, middle, treble, contour and volume knobs, not many options on the clean channel though with only gain, bass, middle, treble knobs, includes a reverb knob in the master section where an effects knob (dry - eff) can be found and also a master volume. The clean channel has a crunch button which turns the crunch on and off and the distortion channel has an OD1 and OD2 button that switches between heavy and light distortion. The less EQ options for the clean/crunch might disappoint some people. It has an input, send and return, foot switch jack and line out jack. There is also a loop level button switching between -20db and 0db.

I play old school metal (thrash, death, black, heavy...) and occasionally modern metal. It really fits my needs because it has a cold, raw, cutting, punching sound which is perfect for old schoolers, but might not be the cup of tea for moderners as they prefer a warmer sound. Yet still it gives old school metal/rock its old schooliness and is also good for modern metal if you play it raw. Downtuning sounds tight and raw as well. The clean channel is also pretty good but even the clean is a little crunchy.

The box on that thing is extremely durable and hard. It manages all kinds of hits well. Overall the hardware is solid and definitely reliable during live gigs or transportation. I carried it through 2300kms in a overfilled Volkswagen caddy pickup car with loads of things that could possibly damage it such as sharp tools (drills, sawws etc.) some heavy furniture on top of it and etc but they did not. On arrival it was as good as new. No damage whatsoever both on the harwdware and speaker. It sounded the same as before transportation (considering some roads were extremely bad) so no damage to the sound as well.

Perfect for old school metal/rock. I've had it for about a year now. I went to test it and immediately loved it. I would buy it again if lose it. I love the looks and the fact that it is one of the few amps that truly fit my dream of "cold, raw sound". I don't seem to hate anything about it. My favorite feature has to be boost channel. I did search for an amp quite for some time. I played some Kirk Hammet signature Randalls of the same class, some other Randalls of the same class, even a budget Randall head, but Randall were not my thing. I also tried some Marshall MG's which I liked but weren't really what I wanted. Also it was very cool that I bought it from a friend's shop second hand, so he discounted it for me from 250 to 150. That also encouraged me even more to buy it.