Valvestate VS15R review by Marshall

Marshall: Valvestate VS15R

Purchased from: N/A

When I got this amp, I was expecing it to be fairly quiet, as it is only 15 watts. However I soon discovered that for a 15 watt amp, it is REALLY loud. The clean tones are crisp, even at high volumes. The drive can go from sweet blues tones to crushing distorion.

The fact that it has two gain contols means that, combined with varying the treble, mid, and bass settings, there is huge scope for creating a variety of sounds.

I am realy pleased with this amp. I play metal, rock, and sometimes punk, and it can handle all of them, mostly thanks to its capability for producing a wide range of sounds. If it was stolen, I would be forced to get another amp as the VS range has gone out of production.

I have had this amp for 2 years, and it hasn't broken down once. If I were to use this at a performance, I would not need to bring a backup.

This amp has 2 gain controls (I'll come onto that in a second) treble, mid, bass, volume, reverb, headphone jack and line out. Although a few more effects would be nice, this is a good amp for a beginner.

The gain controls aren't like on most amps, as it doesn't have the standard channel 1/channel 2 system. There are two knobs, gain 1 and gain 2. Turning up gain 1 halfway will give you a clean tone, while turning it up higher will give you more crunchy sounds. Turning up gain 2 will result in distorted tones. This does take a bit of getting used to, but once you are used to it you can shape the sound more thant on a channel 1/channel 2 amp.

jus.hop55
    I agree with Realturka, always sounds the same. And both gain controls do the same thing for me. Sounds like a Bachman Turner Overdrive rhythm guitar always. Not good for lead, but I guess it's okay for a rhythm guitarist. I wouldn't get another. The only smaller Marshall that sounded any good at the music store was the Slash SL-5, which is awesome but it's $700. So I upgraded to a Peavey Vypyr 30, and it's amazing
    ApihBlind
    Ya,i had this one.Juz got it 6 month ago,iplayed mostly punk rock and this baby can stand hella good,and yep it's limited now..
    Realturka
    Hey, if anyone will ever read this.. HOW DO YOU FREAKIN GET A GOOD SOUND OFF THIS THING?! I can get the sound of Anesthesia (cliff burton's bass solo recorded in 1983) without trying. Because all it has is that sound! I turned off the ****ing bass, and it's still the same! Someone share his settings with meee!!!
    Steel8909
    I have the 30 watt version of this amp. The EQ is very unresponsive so you can't really change the sound much.
    funkyducky
    i have this amp, great for bedroom practise. Its almost 10 years old, pretty durable and has always worked even with my old Yamaha Pacifica 112 which had dodgy electronics and stuffed up through other amps. Pretty good tonal range for such a cheap amp, beats a 15w Fender Frontman any day.
    Kailashanand
    Got it also and Im suprised how good it sounds. You can play some really pure clean sounds, british blues, classical rock and even original (Black Sabbath, Iron MAiden) metal with it ! Sound is really vintage and organic, which amazes me as this is SS amp !