Valvestate VS265 review by Marshall

Marshall: Valvestate VS265

Purchased from: used

I use this amp with an Ibanez GAX guitar (bolt-on neck, two open humbuckers, Tune-O-Matic) with that the amp gets on quite well. The clean channel is so sensitive, on a lower volume settings it responds to the style and strength of picking. I can't wait to try it with a Strat, or any single coiled guitar, I suppose they would make a nice pair. On higher settings, the cleans get a bit crunchy in a very unique "Marshall-ish" way. I haven' used it so much that loud, but I guess, clarity in that case too is just the matter of playing technique and the setting of the guitar volume. The OD1 is similar in the case of sensitivity, but of course with a slight tubey overdrive. It's pretty good fot bluesy leads or Brit-style crunch (not a Vox AC30, but it's not that expensive anyway). The OD2 is a metallic overdrive, suitable for both classic and modern hard rock and metal, due to its character knob, that is like a tone knob or a scoop control. Anyway, as a negative, the two OD-s could have a separate EQ, the character is not enough to alter the OD2's tone, I think. On lower volume settings, both OD's sound a bit too fuzzy, but with suitable EQ settings and the growth of volume, the lows get stronger, the sound gets thicker (it's unfortunately still just a solid-state). The chorus is beautiful, subtle, maybe that's the main point in this amp, especially if you listen to it through headphones. I guess that feeling could be reproduced through the stereo outputs.

I think it matches my style, that is mainly classic rock like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, U2, REM etc. and I think it could be suitable for harder genres too, because of the OD2, that is so metallic (that I don't use it much). The crunchiness of cleans is acceptable in this styles, and if you would like to play Dire Straits, you'd better buy a Roland JC or a Fender (I love Dire Straits too, so it is not impossible that I will buy something like that later). I think it's a good choice for beginners or lower intermediates who look for their first stage amp. I don't say it's dirt cheap, especially in Hungary, but it's a Marshall anyway, with the familiar Marshall power worth trying.

That's what I fortunately haven't tried yet, but it looks durable.

So, I previously owned a Behringer gx110, that I loved so, but, as time passed, I needed something bigger ("I'm on the way of making it big.") I found this amplifier in a local music shop in my hometown (Bekescsaba, HU), and I found it suitable for my playing style, because of the following:

- it's a 2x65 watt stereo chorus solid state combo loud enough for practicing at home that I've managed to try, and I guess, a 2x65 watt amp is pretty enough for rehearsing and smaller shows too, that I have not yet.
- it has two overdriven channels that is very useful if you're trying to make versatile music, for example if you want a British-style crunch, and a liquid lead on the other hand.
- the chorus is assignable to the channels, both, only clean, or only OD, that is a useful feature if you like to fatten your cleans with chorus, but you don't like chorused overdrive sounds, as a lot of guitarists do, including myself.
- other features - effects loop, DI and enclosure outputs, headphone socket, of course, all is stereo, and the amp has reverb, can be set differently on clean and OD channels.

mark69
    Im getting myself one of these this week, their pretty nice. Awsome ****ing sound for a solid state.
    fender78411
    I have the Marshall VS 265 And it sounds great, the chorus is really full on the clean channel. I'm Quite satisfied with it. From ZZ Top to Iron Maiden or the Police.
    OrvilleLesPaul1
    does anyone know how many of the blue limited edition ones they made to celebrate there 35th anniversary thank you if you know could u email me at rynknny@hotmail.co.uk