Valvestate VS30R review by Marshall

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Marshall: Valvestate VS30R

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

I'm using this amp mainly with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with stock pickups, and it suits my music style well enough. It's a bit noisy with a bit of gain, but otherwise is relatively quiet. This amp can do anywhere from cleans to raging metal distortion, but it doesn't do gain too well at all, but if it's EQ'd right, then it's somewhat usable. The clean channel doesn't seem to be all that loud, and will start to clip if I hit the strings with much force if I use the bridge position.

I've been playing for nearly two years, and when I got this, the tone was just that much better than my little Fender frontman that came with my pack. Now I realize that there are better amps for the price-the Epiphone Valve Junior, and the Peavey Valveking royal 8, for example. If it were stolen, I'd get something else. I wouldn't even bother tracking the thief down.

This amp has broken down on me once. I don't know what exactly went wrong with it, but something started making a high pitched hum, but that went away after a while (and a service, but the repair guy couldn't find anything wrong with it). I wouldn't gig with it, not because of it's reliability, but because it's just too small. a 30 watt solid state 1x10" combo can't really do much.

Made in the late '90s in the UK. Two channels, clean and overdrive, with spring reverb. For what I play, which is mostly hard rock and metal, it's versatile enough. There is no effect loop, but there is a footswitch input. it's controls are basic-a two band EQ on the clean with a volume, 3 band EQ, gain, and volume on the OD side. I use it for practice alone, and it is more than loud enough.

sharky22
    I had this amp for a while, and it didn't work unless you kicked it hard enough.
    oneblackened
    Pretty much.
    Cabron1
    FrontMan66
    Why does Marshall make solid state amps that "sound" like valve amps instead of just making valve amps? Cmon' Marshall.
    prt1990
    The clean channel is bearable, but the distorted channel sucks so much. It makes me want to throw up.
    Shredder Man
    Just a question, would this be better than a fender frontman 15w? cuz i'm considering this(for $80).
    5150rando
    Man, I have this amp... when I first got it, I was like "OMFG I HAVE A MARSHALL!!!" and now... blehh... I wish it would sound better with distortion pedals than it does, but its like putting toilet paper over the pile of shit your dog left in the middle of your living room...
    DSchmitty
    Cabron1 wrote: FNGuitarGod wrote: Yea. This is like the MG series amps and they just suck balls. incorrect the VS series is way way different. my vs100 head is better than my jcm2000 tbh. Chuck from Death used them.
    lmao ur an idiot, this thing sounds like crap stop defending it.