Valvestate VS65R review by Marshall

Marshall: Valvestate VS65R

Purchased from: Martin Phelps Music

I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty with it and it sounds real nice! Gives me all I want in distortion and when I want clean. I tend to play various types of music including metal, rock and punk and with a few minor adjustments to the settings, it holds up pretty well. Although, sometimes, it doesn't like pinch harmonics and starts to crackle. Not often, but it does do it everynow and again.

Overall, it's a pretty gd amp. Good sound, easy to work with (as most Marshalls are) and it can handle what I want easily. When I got it, I had it up against a Laney 50W multi-FX amp and the Marshall won easily. Just hitting a couple of power chords in the shop on it made me get it, even after playing 2 whole songs on the Laney to see what it had got!

I think I could use it in a gig without too much hassle but, due to the crackling in the pinch harmonics, I wouldn't use it for an important gig. A small private gig yes certainly, it can deal with that no problem.

As a 65W Valvestate amp, this can deliver a pretty good sound clean and distorted. It gives me depth and a great tone which is good. It came with a channel switching footswitch and has effect loops and one headfone jack. The reverb on it is ok but I don't use it as I hav a multi-FX pedalboard.

MarkoakaNiggaK
    i don`t know why people complain about marshall amps...if u can`t get a good sound out of them then try to learn how to set up sound on amps in general... i mean common peps...i got a good slayerish sound out of this with a cheapo Chinese guitar (strat copy less than 100$)
    rpou51630
    I bought mine for $250 and I've got to say that I'm pretty pleased with my purchase. I'm able to get every out of it while playing the blues.
    Poison_The_Joel
    I have a VS 65-R but I would never use it for a gig. It's way too thin. if you have ever played a Tube anp you would agree with me.
    WCPhils
    I got mine used for about 140 and it has held up pretty well. Like the review says it doesn't like pinch harmonics very much but that could also be my guitar because I did use another guitar on it once and it sounded pretty good.
    hwmccullough
    I have one that i use as a backup for my Marshall Valvestate VS 8100. Love the little combo. It sounds a lot like my half stack.
    James T. Music
    I bought this amp for 100 bucks used...the preamp is probably bad, and the store is fixing it for free...However, i can tell it has a good tone...Maybe i will do a full review once i play it more!
    Steel8909
    Damn $100? I got the vs30r for $200, what a rip lol I hate the amp anyways :p
    alirexrock23
    I got a 1997 LTD edition in blue tolex with gold lettering and a little gold plaque with Jim Marshall's signature.I got given it as a promotional gift to try out. I have had many amps over the years and own a few still. I use analogue effects pedals mainly (I find digital FX a bit soulless)and this amp suits them well. This is THE perfect hybrid. As someone said earlier knowing how to set up an amp is important. I use mine at home as a practice amp and for rehearsal and for small gigs and sometimes pair it with other amps using a DOD stereo flanger to link them. I play my Bass 6 through it too and it suits it well. It is a great all round amp. I love mine :
    sicmidic
    I was at a big chain guitar store testing one. It was $99.00 used of course. I played a fender Squier through it. Started to get real loud on it's own then smoke then it stopped working. We where suprised and I asked can I have the parts for $10.99. A bad amp and a east of time.
    alirexrock23
    I have owned and own many amps. I like vintage amps and my 97 anniversary model is the youngest amp I own and the only hybrid. I keep it because it has a great sound. It does a nice clean sound LOUD if that's what you want or you can get it to sound down and dirty. It's a very versatile combo. Anyone who can call a second hand amp they played once and it burnt out 'a bad amp'must be someone who has never tried a working one. If you buy second hand you don't know what its former owner(s) did with it. I had a Twin Reverb burn out on me. Doesn't make it a bad amp. It just meant that someone didn't adjust the voltage input. The V65R is a great combo.
    spence6strg
    I have been playing through a lot of different amps lately. Hughes and Kettner, Mesa Mark 25 V, Carvin, Peavey Delta Blues.... on and on.... I have owned my VS65R for a long time but I had not played through it for a few years. Well my last amp, the Carvin V3m just wasn't sounding good. Very fizzy distortion. I was thinking it was because of the guitar I was using. (A custom Telecaster that I built) So I dusted off my VS and plugged it in. Man, it sounded great. Smooth distortion, well more of an overdrive. Great cleans. I used it at rehearsal last night and it was plenty powerful enough to keep up. Good for small to medium rooms. I am wondering why I stopped using it but now it will be my main amp once again. I will be selling my Carvin