Zakk Wylde MG15MSZW Microstack review by Marshall

Marshall: Zakk Wylde MG15MSZW Microstack

Purchased from: Xelectrical, Canterbury

I use an Ibanez ART120MSS with Ibanez pickups, it's a rock/metal guitar... it works perfectly with this amp... however I've used a Fender/Gibson/Epiphone and even Acoustic with this amp and they all sound amazing. Of course there is a general ideology that this is suited for Zakk style music, this is true but it is more than capable of playing many other styles. The amp is VERY loud... it's only 15 watt but due to 2 10" speakers, it's a little louder than any normal practise amp. The distortion is AMAZING... it can be relaxed to give an AC/DC crunchy tone to giving a filthy sounding Slipknot tone.

This amp looks amazing... it is still an impressive site, especially for bedroom playing. The head fonts and bullseye pattern is stunning, it really sets is aside from anything I've seen! The sound is unbeatable for the wattage and size... Don't let the 15 watts put you off... if you practise alot, or play mainly in your bedroom/room then BUY THIS! Do not buy a 50 watt or 75 watt, this will more than do the job. If lost or stolen I would certainly buy again... Its only drawback is that it really does lack effects. Though I stand by my view that detached effects pedals are the way to go with any amp. I have owned a Line 6 Spider IV 15 watt, a Line 6 Spider IV 120 watt, Marshall MG50DX and this amp tops them all for what I need.

I bought this amp 2nd hand (3 months old)... it is in perfect condition still, not 1 mark or blemish. The material is very durable, as well as the hardware... I have cranked this to 11! It is most certainly durable when played at any level. I would use this in a small pub gig or large school hall type gig, anything more than that I wouldn't think this amp will stand the brutality. This is obviously why it is a scaled amp and a practise amp.

This amp is a scaled down version of the stack that Zakk Wylde uses live on stage! It has everything that he loves; golden trim, golden Marshall logos, Gothic font and a Bullseye Head pattern. Choose from Clean or Overdrive channels; E.Q. Bass, Contour and Treble with Reverb. It does lack some effects, though it is still a practise amp and I believe getting some pedals is preferable over built in effects. I mainly use this amp in my bedroom, however it could play a 'small' gig or large room, for a 15 Watt amp it's extremely loud. Though you can get amazing clarity from lower volumes... this is probably one of my favourite things about it.

mcjosh
    Noooo it's not...
    Butthead
    I feel that with your money there are better options out there. You (the reviewer) love it so more power to you, but to those reading this review and considering this amp do your research before purchasing.
    EkoRanger6
    Mmmmmm yes it is... obviously not hardware wise because that is impossible, design wise its near perfect. Gold cab and head trim in gold wire, Gothic font, Bullseye head pattern and gold plated Marshall logo are all what Zakk had his Marshall changed to to make it custom.
    EkoRanger6
    mcjosh wrote: This amp is a scaled down version of the stack that Zakk Wylde uses live on stage! Noooo it's not...