Zakk Wylde MG15MSZW Microstack review by Marshall

Marshall: Zakk Wylde MG15MSZW Microstack

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I am using this amp with a '93 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock humbuckers) for a Wylde Metal tone, an Ibanez Artcore AG75 (stock hums) for a clean & mellow jazz sound, or an Ibanez Blazer (SeymourDuncan single coils) for a rich bluesier tone. For these three styles, the shoe fits. Since I play through the clean channel, there are no problems with feedback/noise because I control the gain through the pedals. The clean channel gets a nice natural and overdriven bite to it if you Krank it up past 5. The distortion channel is ok, but I prefer the clean channel with the Boss SD-1 and DS-1 together, they sound more organic whereas the distortion channel on the amp seems a bit oversaturated, that's all personal taste though. The settings I use on this amp with the clean channel are as follows= Bass-10 Contour-5 Treble-4 Reverb-10 (Keeping the FDD feature engaged). I find that with these 10" speakers, the bass comes through really clean and crisp at high volumes so take advantage of that.

I mostly play Metal and Rock and this is the perfect fit. I've been playing for about 11 years now. I also play with a Washburn Dime332, some pedeals I use are the Boss CS-3, CE-5, DS-1, SD-1, and Dunlop Crybaby. If this amp were ever stolen/lost, it would be replaced for sure. I love this amp because it is the perfect size for my apartment where I can't even turn my 2X12 to level "1", and because it produces great tones that are similar to that of a tube amp. My favorite feature is the emulated CD in/out for jamming/practicing. I chose this amp to support my boy Zakk and knew it would be a Killer tool for sharpening my skills on the axe. Bleed Marshall!

This MicroStack was designed by Zakk Wylde and Jim Marshall. Now if you know about either of these men, they build to last. This amp is very reliable, durable, rugged, and easy to maintain. There is no doubt that this Marshall made product will last a good 20 years minimum. It will probably be a collector's item one day.

This amp is very versatile and can accommodate many styles of playing, I play Metal, Rock, Blues, and Jazz. It does have a clean/distortion switch, but I mainly use the clean channel with some pedals for any lead playing. I use Boss, including a Super Overdrive and Chorus Ensemble, which Zakk used in earlier years. For a 15Watt, this thing packs a punch. It has a cool FDD (Frequency Dependant Dampening) feature which I leave on at all times. This gives the amp a tube driven sound and responds well with the SuperOverdrive. This amp is great for Jam sessions and also has a headphone jack if you need to be quiet. It also has an emulated CD in/out which allows you to play along with computer back tracks as well. I can only recommend this as a practice amp though, as a professional musician, this little guy stays in the bedroom.

oneblackened
    EkoRanger6 wrote: Mmmmmm yes it is... obviously not hardware wise because that is impossible, design wise its near perfect. Gold cab and head trim in gold wire, Gothic font, Bullseye head pattern and gold plated Marshall logo are all what Zakk had his Marshall changed to to make it custom.
    Yeah, but why the hell would I buy a POS amp for the looks?
    MaggaraMarine
    I have owned a Line 6 Spider IV 15 watt, a Line 6 Spider IV 120 watt, Marshall MG50DX
    Oh no! The most hated amps in UG! Yeah... the reviewer shouldn't use words like AMAZING or VERY. If you want to use those words it would be nice if you didn't write those words with caps only. The review is much more convincing if you don't exaggerate.