Dual Rectifier review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Dual Rectifier

Purchased from: Ebay

I use the Dual Rec with an American Fender Double Fat Strat, and it sounds beast. My band covers Liquid tension expiriment, Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, Dream Theater, Steve Vai, ac/dc, pantera, and etc. We also like imrovising blues and jazz. The dual rec blows through all those styles with great tone. I can get a pretty nice petrucci lead tone out of the 2nd channels Vintage mode, though if you want the classic petrucci tone back in the day I'd like to point you in the direction of a mark 4. The raw mode on the 2nd channel is great for classic rock and blues. I get a nice Metallica and thrash tone also out of the 3rd channels modern mode. The clean channel is very clean, haven't had it muddy up at all. switching it to the pushed mode gives you a nice tone for blues rythym and etc. I'm running the amp with 6l6 power tubes, and the 5u4gB rectifier tubes. It sounds great, though the 5u4gs make the tone sag a bit. The distortion can get VERY brutal, that's what the recs are all about, but, they can still clean up very nicely for blues and etc. One thing to remember about dual recs and the like when searching for tone, the EQ doesnt't work like a Marshall, or Fender, or etc. Your tone will mostly be shaped by the treble, presence and Drive knobs. The mid and bass will effect the tone, but not like any old run of the mill amp (no offense to Marshall, great amps, but hey), bass adds thump, or boom, not nessecarily low end, and the mid makes it punchy, and etc.

I play rock, metal, prog, and jazz and blues. Like I said, this amp does a great job in all of those genres. I've been playing for about 3 and ahalf years, and I own the Johnson jm150 modeling amp, which models the recto. Needless to say, the recto blows it out of the water. If this amp was stolen, well, I'd be pretty f--ked 'cause I doubt I'm gonna be able to pull another thou outta my ass any time soon, but I'd definetly be saving for another. The only thing I really disliked about this amp was the eq. At first, I struggled to get a good tone, but after reading the manual, and really fine tuning the tone, it was simple to find great tones fast.

I haven't gigged with it yet, but I can't wait to. The only thing I'd bring would be and extra fuse, and some power tubes. The amp hasn't broken down on me yet, and it's had at least five years of use, and a trip from tenesse to maryland. The midi chord for the pedal is kinda twichy, which is probably from the long trip.

I have the 3 channel Dual Rectifier. This amp is very versatile. I frequently go from playing hard thrash and prog stuff to clean and smooth jazz and blues and it handles everything really nicely. The clean channel has two modes, clean and pushed, and the two drive channels have three modes, raw, Vintage, and modern. The amp has a solo boost feature which allows you to set a level above the volume you are playing at that you can switch to when you need that extra boost. the amp also came with a foot Switch that allows you to change between the 3 channels, turn the effects loop on and off, and activate the solo boost. I haven't really used the effects loop much yet, because the amp I was using before the Dual had all it's effects built in, and I didn't need to get any external effects. I use this amp in my basement, basically just for band practice, and the feature that really makes the dual rec awesome for every situation is the ability to run it at half power. When you pull two of the power tubes (inner pair or outer pair) and one of the rectifier tubes, the amp runs effectivley at 50 watts, as opposed to 100. This cuts out some of the head room the amp had, and allows you to crank the tubes at lower volumes, so you can get that great tube sound without blowing your ears off. The amp also allows you to Switch between tube rectification, which gives you a smoother and mroe elastic feel, and silicon diode rectification, for more gain and etc. You can also switch between two modes of power, spongy, which makes things a bit softer and fuzzy, and bold, which tightens up the sound. The dual rec has fixed bias, which you can toggle between el-34 bias and 6l6 bias.

KoRnFr33K7
    Ive got a MESA DUAL REC. Probably the best investment ive ever made. Lasts through anything and may i say, probably one of the most powerful amps ive ever seen. i thought krank had competition with it, but when i finally played one, hahha didnt even compare.
    guitarrocka205
    Already have the Dual Rec and 4X12 H/S. It's freakin' heavenly. I wouldn't trade it for anything... except a Diezel VH4... I know I know.
    cerveza
    i have a dual rec solo head with a Rectifier standard slant cab and a marshall JCM 800 4x12. Vintage 30's and Greenbacks together make the sound orgasmic. (and powerful enough to destroy a small country)
    super666fender
    Just got me a '94 dual rec (which im recovering in snakeskin!! \m/!) and it sodusn HEAVENLY! i havent gotten a chance to crank it yet, but i will tomorrow at band practice. Even at low volumes the amp is orgasmic. I will post a review of it in the next little while
    Zolrak
    I like this amp a lot, it fits really good with my style. Y para el primer review: De casualidad no eres Juan?