Dual Rectifier review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Dual Rectifier

Purchased from: guy off craigslist.com

I am using a Epiphone G400, stock pups, GHS TNT strings, Dunlop 1mm picks and like mentioned in the above paragraph it suits my toanl needs completely. Once I heard one of these ina music store a couple years ago, I knew thsiu is the only amp I would ever want. After a year of saving I finally bought her. Never regreted the purchase. Ever. The clean channel is a bit noisy when it is in modern rhythym mode (that's where the cleanest most shimmering tone can be found) but it's not that big of a deal. Feedback is very tame and controllable(when I ahve it louder in my room I get it all the time, but that is only because I am about a foot away from the amp.)I've never had the clean channel high enough to overdrive on me (at lest on modern voicing). The distortion at band practice levels is insane to say the least. Mes'as have some very intiguing EQ designs, as the gain acts almost as a master volume for that one channel. On the red channel I keep gain at about 1-2 oclock. Past that at low volumes it starts to found too fizzy andtoo liquidy for massive chugging riffs. I am also going to purchase a TS9 to boost for leads as I hear it mnakes the overdrive super smooth. If you haven't gotten the message yet, the distortion is absolutly insane. If you think you need more, your insane. I forgot to mention earlier, I play though a Behringer BG412H and it complements it very nicely. My balls shake at band practice when I stand infront of the amp.

I feel like I'm repeating myself. This amp suits my tonal and musical needs exremely well. I have been playing for just over 4 years now and this is the best purchase I could have ever made. I also own a Yamaha acoustic, Epi G400, Behringer xvamp fx processor, Behringer BG412H 4x12 cab, and soon to be Morley wah and Ibanez TS9. I was comparing amps for about 2 years before I got this baby, and I can easily says thsi amp slays all of them. I would never lose thsi amp, bt if it was ever tolen(I don't know how, it's so dman heavey) I would be heartbroken and probably want to quit guitaring but yes I would buy another one. I just lvoe everything about it. nothing to hate, no player haters up in here man. The chrome Diamond plate grill gives it that garagy in your face kind of look and the worn and tattered tolex just adds to it.

It is very dependable, it has been around since 94, with only tube changes and 1 fuse blowing in it'e whole life. Yeah I would gig without a backup becuase I would be ashamed to play through my Marshall MG15 which I had before. The only thing I would do is bring some spare tubes and an extra fuse. I've only had the amp for about 2months so I do not have enough experisnce yet to see first hand how reliable this bad boy is. But I've never heard of any reliability issues with Boogies.

This is a 1994 Two channel version. Never really played that much with a 3 channel (I was too freaked out by all the knobs and switches at the back. The exterior I in faily poor shape (aftermarket tolex, it's green, a lot of ripps and scuffs on it and the corners are from what it seems like a Fender. But I love it, gives the amp some character) When I bought it it had a Brand New set of Mesa tubes, including the 6L6's. This amp is extremly versatile, can go from jazzy cleans to testicle crushing distortion. I play thrash/death metal and this amp cannot be more perfect for me. As mentioned earlier this is the 2 channel version. Channel one being Orange and channel two being red. Each channel can be voiced for eaither modern or Vintage and cloned. For example instead of channel one being clean and channed two being overdrive. You can have channel one as a Vintage overdrive and channel two as a searing lead tone. It also have a footswitch capability, effects loop, but no headphone jack. The amp also features auto biasing switch to use eitehr 6L6's or EL34's. Has a Switch for bold or spondy voicing as well as SS or tube rectification. It has allt eh features I need. I never was a big fx guy, so I don't use the loop at all which retains a pure unobstructed circuit for best tone. I use this amp at home for practicing and at band practice. It is more than enough power for anyone. At home I can't have it past 1.5 for reasonable room elvles, and at band practice I have to keep her under 3 or esle I start to drown out the bass and drums.

paddo
    cerveza wrote: i have a dual rec solo head with a Rectifier standard slant cab and a marshall JCM 800 4x12. Vintage 30's and Greenbacks together make the sound orgasmic. (and powerful enough to destroy a small country)
    lucky son of a gun
    sp0ckr0cks
    i personally like the single rec. because then i can CRANK the sucker and get a really good tube tone out of it...i mic it for gigs
    sp0ckr0cks
    i think it's bull that everyone is Marshall crazy...although i wouldn't hate a marshall...but anyway, i like mesas much better. the sound, and there is no better way to say this, is just plain BALLZIER than a marshall. Boogies are hard to come by in these here parts (southern West Virginia). But i live about an hour away from the ONLY Mesa dealer in the state. But i digress. MESA KICKS ARSE!!
    zerowing
    I'm interested in buying a mesa. now.. if i get the triple rec what cab should i buy with it. my price range..uhh.. idk. i konw the rectifiers 1300~ so uh..2000?
    NickBinford
    i have the marshall jcm 800 vintage first 1000 ever made with the celestian green backs and im going to guitar center today to either order a krank rev or buy a mesa dual rec!!!!! yeah!!!!!
    NickBinford
    bought a mesa boogie dual rec yesterday instead of krank, krank is all talk and endorsment it had alot of distortion but to much and is only a one trick pony you can only play metal out of it dual rec is a much more versitile and comes with 5 year warranty peace im outta here!!!!!
    Shizzster
    damn this thing looks sexi, never played one but i want too, its so expensive so if i do like it i wont be getting it for another 3 years