Dual Rectifier review by Mesa Boogie

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reliability & Durability: 10
  • Features: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 9.8 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.6 (133 votes)
Mesa Boogie: Dual Rectifier
0

Price paid: $ 1135

Purchased from: Ebay

Sound — 10
I play a Gibson Les Paul Standard and a Fender Telecaster through it. I can make the cleans sound decent but they aren't awesome. The cleans are not what you buy this amp for. After about 15 years of trying to get the Boogie sound without buying a Boogie, I finally broke down and bought it. I was not disappointed as the sound was exactly what I was looking for. At first I wanted the Metallica tone from the '80s then I was looking for a Jerry Cantrell-type tone, after that I wanted a Creed tone. I can get all of these from this amp. When you have the gain turned up (2:00 because maxing it out saturates it way too much) there is a slight hum but nothing that is overwhelming. It is relatively quiet compared to most amps.

Overall Impression — 10
I play many styles of music within rock. This amp gives me everything I need. I had a Marshall JCM900 before this. I went ahead and got the Mesa because I can get the Marshall sound out of the Mesa but I can't get the Mesa sound out of the Marshall. I have been playing for 18 years. If this were stolen, I would definitely get another one. This is the end-game amp for me unless I get a Road King which would be more of an indulgence.

Reliability & Durability — 10
No problems so far. There is a key post from one of the tubes broken off inside the socket but I don't think it will be a big deal to get it out when I am ready to change the tubes. It still runs fine though. I just have to make sure that that tube is in tight which is easy since the back is open with only a metal band across the middle.

Features — 9
This amp is versatile enough where I can get decent cleans, crunchy distortions, and hard chuggy distortion. I use this amp for everything from Led Zepplin to Slayer. It gives ou the option to use tubes or silicon diodes. It also has a variac Switch which allows you to choose between spongy and bold. Another added feature is that you can install EL-34 power tubes and rebiasing the amp is as simple as flipping a slider. It has 3 channels (clean, distortion, more distortion) with a 5-button footswitch (3 channels plus a solo Switch which increases your volume according to what you set the solovolume level to, and a fx loop Switch). The effects loop has input and output volume controls. Unfortunately there is no headphone jack. The only thing that I would consider it lacking besides a headphone jack is reverb. I use this amp in my home and it has more than enough power. I really need to get a hot plate but I don't have to get one to get a good tone out of this amp. Another feature that I like is that instead of having a Switch for impedence, there are 5 separate jacks: 16 ohms, 2x8 ohms, and 2.4 ohms.

16 comments sorted by best / new / date

    DeathByStereo23
    Mind that,there's a reason that explains why soo many people sells their mesa on ebay.....I tried out one,and I been totally disappointed.....how can they sell it at 2300 euros I mean! Shame on you,Mesa! ENGL is waaaay better,with a half of the cost
    Knight_Arsis
    I was looking at a Peavey 6505 and it had cool tone for riffs and shit but absalutely no lead. can be fixed with a pedal perhaps. But now im looking at this amp. Is it good for leads and solos adn shredding along metal riffs and clean arpegios and chording?
    nightimedweller
    bgarnham wrote: metallica and linkin park amplifier, isn't obvius? perfect for metal the best amp ever i'm not joking
    dudeee linkin park can suck my left ballsack they dont deserve a mesa boogie and they are not metal....listen to some real metal not that crap
    nightimedweller
    DeathByStereo23 wrote: Mind that,there's a reason that explains why soo many people sells their mesa on ebay.....I tried out one,and I been totally disappointed.....how can they sell it at 2300 euros I mean! Shame on you,Mesa! ENGL is waaaay better,with a half of the cost
    theirs few mesa boogie amps being sold and their mostly because their college kids who need money or people who found out they dont need this loud of an amp.....they are awesome amps for any style of playing
    SkateEmerica987
    DeathByStereo23 wrote: Mind that,there's a reason that explains why soo many people sells their mesa on ebay.....I tried out one,and I been totally disappointed.....how can they sell it at 2300 euros I mean! Shame on you,Mesa! ENGL is waaaay better,with a half of the cost
    Half the price? ya right, engls are like $2300!! unless you want a crappy one, the ones half the price of the mesa dont even compare to a mesa, but ya a top of the line engl is better than a mesa, but it should be for those costs.
    TDAJGuitarist
    cerveza wrote: i have a dual rec solo head with a Rectifier standard slant cab and a marshall JCM 800 4x12. Vintage 30's and Greenbacks together make the sound orgasmic. (and powerful enough to destroy a small country)
    Awww....Drool. lol Nice set up!
    LRZ3333
    I've had a Marshall JVM for the past 6 months. It rocks. It has all the Marshall tones I could ever want and then some. It has retarded amounts of gain as well. However, I did play a Mesa Recto with 6L6 tubes and it freaking rocked my socks off. If your a fan of many bands that use Marshalls and want their tone get a JVM. Otherwise, if you like raunchy metal sounds get a Mesa. Linkin Park, Distrubed I like the versatility of the JVM but Rectos make my mouth water (literally! I'm like that damn Pavlov dog!). haha
    cobfreak89
    Hey...i dont know shit about amps..so dont mind this question thats gonna be stupid most likely....Is it alright if i hook up a 100W dual rec head to the 2 x 12 rec cab?? im switching to mesa but dont need a 4 x 12 itd be too much power for my home and performance status right now...plus ive heard dual rec owns single so i wanna get a dual
    bgarnham
    metallica and linkin park amplifier, isn't obvius? perfect for metal the best amp ever i'm not joking
    DeathByStereo23
    bgarnham wrote: metallica and linkin park amplifier, isn't obvius? perfect for metal the best amp ever i'm not joking
    WHAT? It's obvious that you never tried out some ENGL shit. And how can you say that Linkin Park are metal? They're the WORST band out there.....also Metallica are.