Dual Rectifier review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Dual Rectifier

At the moment I use an Ibanez RG with stock pickups, almost always set on the bridge pickup. The pickup pattern is HSH. This amp suits my play style and tone very very well. In some cases I wish the distortion was a little tighter, but again, you can't have everything(well, you can, just not in one amp. Even though Mesa is world renowned for their brutal tone on the recto's, there is always a handful of people bashing everything about them. This is totally unfair. One thing to make sure of when deciding if you want to get this is that you like it's sound. Recto's have a personality and tone all to themselves, and at times can be a little fuzzy. For the people Who plugged one of these in at a store and said it sounded terrible, I have a feeling it was simply the EQ. The EQ on this works a little differently, and the Treble and Gain will shape the impact the rest of the EQ has on your tone. One look at the manual tells you this is not, I repeat, IS NOT a plug and play amp. It takes a good while before you truly start pumping out the tone your looking for, and slight changes in the EQ may make you turn your head twice at the incredible sound you just stumbled upon. Take your time and get familiar before you bash something based on bias only.

Many people will say that while this is a great amp, it doesn't compare to Engl or Bogner. Well, I don't really agree, as it definitly holds its own, but while I picked this thing up for relatively cheap(about the same price of a Peavey Triple XX after taxes) I really doubt I'd get a Engl Special Edition or a Bogner Uberschall for the same price. Think about the jump your talking about. While I wish I had an Engl or Bogner, it's not going to happen for a long, long time. Luckily, at the moment, I can afford the next best thing.

I haven't had this amp for long enough to determine it's reliability, though I would gig with a backup. The main reason being I don't have enough money to buy another amp of a close enough quality to back this up at a gig. Though from anyone you talk to, whether you like the amp or not, there is no denying that they will tell you it's built solid.

I recently purchased a Mesa Boogie 3 Channel Dual Rectifier 100W Head. One weird thing is that the amp switching is on a knob around the back panel of the unit, though no biggy, since the footswitch it comes with solves this problem. As previously stated a million times, this amp is incredibly versatile. At the moment I'm playing in my music room, and this amp has too much power. For gigs, no one needs to say 100 watts of gut wrenching tube power is more than enough. Yes there is an effects loop, run in parallel, though no headphone jack.

TDAJGuitarist
    Black-Goat wrote: can anyone tell me what amplifier has better sound to play deathcore(like through the eyes of the dead,all shall perish, etc) mesa boogie dual rectifier or line 6 spider III cuz im gonna buy one of these very soon u_u! but i need some advices before doin it =S!
    Line 6 sucks....Mesa is the Best....End of story.
    SaintsinneR82
    out of the amps ive had to play out the dual recto triple rec and the peavey 6505 have been my favs...i mean its jus the way you can totally change your jus by lowering your volume a lil bit..its rock to metal is jus a twist of the volume knob...awesome amp..cant say that anymore...jus sounds so thick and full...ugh i hate being broke..i would buy this thing asap...
    martyrdood
    "My balls shake at band practice when I stand infront of the amp" lol classic =]
    CrimsonXD
    uhm someone said their Fender American Standard strat didnt have any noise while playing. and i totally disagree, my strat has CRAZY buzzing when past the 9 o'clock. im sure some pedal would cure this. or just get a stacked humbucker
    chouchen
    how do yall think about crate solid state amps and tube amps.i think the sound can be compare to this amp. I can say this because i own both a crate gtx212 and mesa dual rectofier.
    Seanold
    samlocke14 wrote: Seanold wrote: The triple rectifier is good for heavier stuff, i know a guy who has the triple rectifier for his hardcore/grindcore band and it does the job well. I want to know if the dual rectifier is good for power metal and symphonic metal like Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, etc.- cuz thats what i play. nightwish guitarist uses dual recto's i think so go 4 it
    ya he uses them with marshall cabs for some reason, i was more worried about it not being able to be light enough for stuff like power metal
    samlocke14
    nightwish guitarist uses dual recto's i think so go 4 it
    GoodCharlotte92
    how much can i get one of these? thinkin of buying from guitar center, but i don't want to pay $1800 for it. think i can ge the sales guy to knock off about $500????
    Seanold
    metal jello
    Hey, should I get this, or the triple rectifier? I know the triple's about one hundred dollars more, but is it really worth it?
    schecterboy3000
    theyre amazing but theres other good amps too. so vht, bogner, deizel, h&k, marshall, and engl are also other options around this price area to check out. however, my opinion about this amp is that it is the most FULL FEATURED amp. individual knobs for EACH channel, OUTPUT, and SOLO. you wont find those features all at once on any other amp!
    travd92
    mesa boogies are the best amps for versatility. i played on a dual recto in a shop in SLC a month or so ago, and my dad almost had to drag me out of the store. the beast was amazing. i loved it. 11/10.
    strat73
    Oppppps, I meant the EVH 5150 III are the pure tone monsters, not the 6505+ geeeeesh, please Eddie, don't shoot me!
    strat73
    The new Line 6 spider valve Bogners are pretty good amps for the money, they are the all-tube amps and the 2x12 models are great but their 1/2 stacks are super loud. They are modeling amps, so although they are going to come pretty close to the sound you want, they still don't sound like the actual amps. I have had the opportunity to play a mesa triple rec, an EVH 5150 III, peavey 6505+, a modded Soldano and several Marshall heads within the last couple of weeks and they are all great amps. The Soldano demands to be turned up and is just awesome, but at $2800 used its a bit too pricey for me. The peavey 6505+ is pretty cool and if you just played it without playing anything else it sounds awesome, a lot of gain. The Marshalls are all crunch machines and have a great sound, but the Mesa Triple Rectifier is in a different class. It is pure volume and punch. The EVH 6505+ is a pure tone monster with a ton of gain and a clean channel that oozes tone, but I still am going to go with the Mesa Triple. It just has that punch that will cut you in half if you are not careful. I think that if you want to get a certain sound without spending a ton of money on pedals and effects then go with a Line 6 Spider Valve Bogner and use their presets and you will love it, But if you want to create your own sound and don't mind dialing in your amp and pedals, then go with a Single, Dual or Triple Rectifier (most of the time the single rectifier will be plenty loud enough-me I just love the power of the triple and I tend to beef up the bass, so I want the headroom)
    brentondig
    How would a dual rectifier do covering things like black or death metal? Some guy is selling one for 1400 on kijiji, and he says he just had the tubes replaced and everything.