Dual Rectifier review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Dual Rectifier

Price paid: € 3500

Purchased from: Greece

I use a Caparison Horus SG, a Kramer striker with DiMarzio (Puff pro, fast track 1)and an Epiphone zakk wylde (EMG 81,85). As I said my band is playing prog metal/rock and we try to experiment and mix diferent styles of music. I could really go for something much cheaper. Like a Marshall or a Randall. But I guess I couldnt find the versatility MESA has. Randall is straightforward metal. Even though Im a headbanger in my style I dont want to be limited. I know the rectifier is the Heaviest of all mesa models...but still I found that I can get some amazing clean almost jazzy sounds. For heavier setting you just cant go wrong. Just crank the gain all the way up and you can get some amazing nevermore sounds.Still in the manual it says don't do that.Use common sense it says. For that reason I use zakk wylde overdrive to add the right amount of gain when its time for a solo or a dime riff.

The thing I loved about the rectifier the most is that it treats every gain level diferently. If you have the Orange channel in the Vintage position you can get almost the same sound as Slash (I used it on a Gibson and I was blown away) or in the red chanel with the gain at about 4 its great for 90s stuff like alice in chains or soundgarden if you turn it up to 8 Machine Head....10 its death.

No its really heavy and built like a tank. But the cabinet was damaged during the transport. The front sheet was riped a bit. Forunately the speaker was intact.

I recently got the Dual Rectifier. Its a 3 chanel all tube amp and suits me just fine. I play in a prog metal/rock band with a Caparison horus. Its got no effects (reverb..) and I prefer it that way. This thing is LOUD. If I must find a flaw is that it way too much power.But for my style thats not a problem...the contrary I must say. It is not intended for your average rehearsal basement. I need it for gigs and so far I used it once For an outdoors Live and it was just amazing. The other guitarist was playing through the PA with a Line 6 POD and the differnce was obvious.No matter how much he turn up the volume his sound had no clarity. Also this amp need to play over 5 to fully understand how great it sounds.