Dual Rectifier review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Dual Rectifier

Purchased from: Ebay

I use a Epiphone 1969 Les Paul Gold Top re-issue through a Maxon 808 overdrive. This amp sounds absolutely amazing. The knobs for the equalizer interact very well with each other and can make it quite hard to dial in the exact tone you want. The amp is a tweakers amp so if you like plug in and play type stuff like a Marshall, don't go the Dual Rectifier. The clean channel is sparkling clean and can go from the old school Marshall midrangey clean tone to a more scooped and treble heavy jazz like tone. The lead channel is where this amp really shines. It has more gain than you will ever need. It does the drop tuned sludge metal really well with the pinch harmonics jumping out at you and the notes cutting through the mix quite well. It can do lower gain settings for a rock or blues tone really well to. If you add a pick up or gain booster like my Maxon 808 overdrive you can basically add a lead setting to boost volume and gain for solo's or lead passages. The amp sounds the best through an over sized Mesa cab but a Marshall cab will give you extra mid-range if you desire that sort of tone like I do.

I play anything from Jazz and blues to progressive rock, pop and metal. This amp can do it all. I have been playing guitar for 10 years and this is by far the best amp I have played. I compared this amp with a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL, a Peavey 6505, New 3 channel Dual Rectifier and a Bogner XTC. This amp beat them all. The older two channel model is a little more responsive, warmer and less fizzier than the new three channel model. It's more stripped down as well which leaves room for more tone. There is nothing that I don't like about this amp, the only thing that I wish it had was a Switch that took it down to 25 watts for bedroom playing.

I can and do depend on my Mesa to perform every single time the tubes light up. I have never been able to afford a back up amp and I've never had a problem with my Dual Rectifier. It was made in 1995 so it is 15 years old, but it sill looks brand new and sounds brand new. I would recommend a service once a year if you use it extensively.

Ok, first of all I am reviewing the older two channel model Dual Rectifier (made in 1995). So for all you people wanting that classic Dual Rectifier tone, without all the confusing and tone soaking modes, then this model is for you. This amp has everything that you will need as a session guitarist, bedroom guitarist or touring guitarist. It has a simple one button foot Switch and effects loop. It has a Switch which changes the use of a rectifier tube or a silicon diode and a Switch which is called bold or spongey. I use this amp for pretty much everything, on stage, recording, rehearsal and at home in the bedroom. I will say it's very loud (100w) and If I was only going to use it in the bedroom I would probably buy something else as is it just way to loud and doesn't get that over driven tube amp sound until the volume knob is above 10 0'clock.

mr. ...
    bought my older 2 channel yesterday. for $850. **** yeah craigslist.
    Pavilionizer
    I've owned a three channel model for several years now. Even at $2000, if mine was stolen or destroyed, buying a new one would be my top priority. As a metal guitarist, I've never heard an amp that excelled so well at the modern high gain sound while maintaining such immaculate versatility. The endless list of professionals who use Mesa Rectifiers is no accident. This thing is the real deal. And btw... Paul Waggoner > Kirk Hammett $.02
    Sakke
    I can't believe that the first reviewer said that it wouldn't handle death metal.. Seriously, even channel 2 modern has the distortion of annihilation, let alone channel 3.
    I<3Gibson
    ive never been a fan of mesa. the recto amps i think are way to scooped sounding. from my exp they dont cut through the mix like my Peavey jsx. I would rather save up the money and get a Engl Savage 120 and never have to get another amp agin