Express 5:25 review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Express 5:25

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

This amplifier is voiced for cleans, classic rock and classic (80's-era) metal. If you are looking for "dual recto" tones for numetal or thrash, this amp will not do it on it's own (you would likely need an overdrive pedal). The cleans on the 5 Watt Class A setting have a wonderful Voxy chime to them, providing great Brit invasion rock sounds. The reverb is wonderful. The tone breaks up nicely as the volume goes up, and cleans up nicely when the guitar volume is turned down. With single coils, the clean will begin to break up pretty early on the 5W setting with some power amp distortion (1030 - 11 o'clock-ish). But this will be loud, even at 5W. The 5W setting is still loud enough to annoy neighbours, but this amp still sounds rich at apartment-friendly volumes. Like most tube amps, it does sound better at higher volumes. The crunch setting provides a variety of rock rhythm sounds. It can also be used for clean tones at low gain settings. AC/DC-ish and other '70s Marshall rock sounds are found here. The blues setting is fat and warm. At low gain settings it can be used as an alternate clean, and high gain settings can yield hard blues-rock tones. The burn channel is where the higher-gain lead sounds are found (think Santana). It can also be used for NWOBHM rhythm sounds (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc). Again, those Who want numetal tones will not be satisfied with what this amp can do on it's own. But for those of us Who don't play numetal, it is sweet! The 5 Watt Class A setting works best for classic rock and Brit invasion tones, whereas the 25 Watt Class A/B setting works best for 80s metal and hard rock tones, due to it's tighter bass. The amp does hum at higher gain settings, but you will not hear it when you play through it. The hum isn't enough to annoy me when I'm pausing between songs. The eq and contour controls are very powerful and interactive on this amp. The manual is extremely detailed and provides enough information and pre-sets for people to get instant gratification, as well as ideas for tweaking later. Sparing use of the contour control on the clean channel will yield a lovely sparkle, and noon to 2 o'clock on the burn or crunch settings will yield a wonderful hard-rockin' crunch. Above 2 o'clock works best on the burn setting, this is where the most "brutal" sounds are found. Personally, I can get Iron Maiden-ish tones with the gain & contour controls at ~2 o'clock. Like most Mesa amps, the bass needs to be dialed down as the gain gets turned up to keep the bass tight. I don't scoop the mids on the eq, as the contour control provides an opportunity to do this later in the signal chain (to my ear it sounds better this way). The 10" speaker pumps out a lot of volume for its smaller size.

This amp is my first tube amp after much practice on a Vox DA15 modelling amp. I haven't tried effects with it yet, since I just upgraded from a modeller with built-in effects. I wasn't initially shopping for a Mesa (I was looking at Traynors, Voxes, Peaveys & Marshalls), but I plugged in my guitar to give it a listen. I resisted purchasing this amp, because I thought another amp would be more value for the money. But I just couldn't get the sweet tones of this amp out of my head, so I made the leap. I'm an amateur. I consider this amp to be a lower-end, portable substitute for the Lone Star Special & the Stiletto series of amps. But this little amp holds its own, and suits my home practice + friendly jam needs perfectly. One day I hope to try it in a small venue. I love this amplifier's versatility. Although many complain about the lack of thrash/numetal gain, there is more than enough here for Brit-voiced 80's metal. I play mostly Beatles tunes and 80s metal on it. What do I dislike about this amp? The price! It was ~40% more than other comparable amplifiers, but to be fair, it did have more features (spring reverb, 5/25 watt switching, contour control) and, to my ear, sound better. It would have been nice if the settings within each channel were also foot-switchable, but this isn't a deal-breaker. There are overlaps between the different settings, so there are often several ways to dial in similar tones.

So far so good. Over one month in, often at loud volumes, with no problems at all. Mesa is known for its excellent customer service, so I am not concerned about it. It comes with a warranty on both the tubes and the rest of the equipment. I'm sure a professional musician would still consider bringing a backup to a gig.

The Express series of amps were released in 2007, replacing the "F" series. They have a large array of features in an extremely small, portable format. This review will focus on the 1x10 combo. I bought this amp over a month ago. The "honeymoon" is over, and I have spent a lot of time experimenting with different guitars and settings. The features include: EL84 power tubes, 5 Watts in Class A, running off of one power tube, 30 Watts (ish) in Class A/B. My understanding is that 2 EL84 tubes usually generate 15-20 Watts of power. The Express has "dyna-watt" circuitry that provides a burst of clean headroom on the attack, making it much louder than other amps of its class. My ear doesn't notice anything odd about this circuitry, except for the increased volume. The manual calls it a 25 Watt amp, but the Switch on the back says 5 Watts or 30 Watts. I use this amp for home practice and friendly jams. It has sufficient volume to be heard over (most) drummers. If extra volume was required, it would be easy to hook up to an extension cab. I believe the Express on it's own would be more than enough for small gigs, or as a stage monitor if you are hooked up to a PA. It is very portable and easy to move around, making it a great grab 'n go amplifier.

Helicopters!
    Not 100% sure on which wattage/speaker count, but I know that one day I'm going to own one of these Express amps.
    KenG
    I wish someone would review the 5:50 version with 6L6's. I've heard the Demo on Boogie's Website and the amp sounds killer. Thinking very seriously of ditching my Peavey and going for the 2x12 version.
    SwampAshSpecial
    Something tells me HELLSHREDD isn't really 32..
    Let me see - dividing by 3 should get us an approximte real age... Hellshred, STFU! Thank god you got rid of the mesa. I would have to stop saving for this (F*cking awesome) amp if a sh*thead like you owned one!
    guitarerocks
    I've got a mesa express 50 watt , it soooo amazing !!!! the wall of sound , and the super distortion , I love this amp !!!!!
    dfsands73
    I play a 2008 PRS custom 22 w/ Dragon II pickups through the Express and the possibilities are endless. They compliment each other perfectly.
    tom_martin_123
    HELLSHREDD wrote: i just got rid of that piece of shit cuz matrix says so , and yes , you are so right, now im running bogner so kiss my arse now punk & quit climbing on my tits and making a nuisance of yourself.,,,j/k, the mesa express is for church gospel tards playing tard music.
    on behalf of eveybody else in the world.... shut the f**k up!
    myearshurt
    HAHA MAIDEN FTW
    travd92
    EnyoAdonai wrote: SylvaShredder wrote: Something tells me HELLSHREDD isn't really 32.. +1
    +2. HELLSHREDD, shut up.
    wawai
    somehow i disagree,i use this amp with my ESP M-II seymour duncans and i can really get those mustaine's heavy sound.also i can play machine head's sound
    Nemesis260
    Very good. I'm gonna get this one, or the Rect-o-Verb for Christmas. Do you guys think that putting a Wylde Overdrive or Ibanez Tube Screamer in front of it would sound as good as the Rect-o-Verb?
    HELLSHREDD
    everyone thinks they know the right way to sound , in my ears & loving metal for 33 years , boss, effects& mesa get ya any sound ya want as long as ya play a jackson with emg,s and if ya disagree go try out the new chit thats out there ya stack fiends!
    HELLSHREDD
    How you could say that this little amp sounds like a waste is no surprise to me , cuz you have a 12 inch speakers & power that nothing could match , but i must say that for the 10 inch speaker & minimal wattage it is and what im running with it at fairly low volume it kiks arse.
    MatrixClaw
    HELLSHREDD wrote: I just purchased this amp for metal guitar & shredd & with a boss digital delay , a boss metal-core& a jackson rr24 with EMG-81 pick-up this little amp sounds unfricken real.
    No offense, but that's the biggest waste of a Mesa I've ever heard of You should've researched a bit before you actually this expensive of an amp and bought a Mesa that gets you metal and shred tones by itself...
    Sir Beav Dog
    I was gonna go with the electra dyne, have reconsidered for this amp, have owned a lot of mesa, and just keep forgetting how darn heavy all their amps are, so gonna go with this, again, if i can't get the tone out of this amp, i shouldn't even play guitar