F-50 review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: F-50

Purchased from: used

I'm using a Schecter Hellraiser FR with emg 81/85, and it sound beautiful and evil at the same time. I'm using a Gibson ES-137 Classic for blues and it sound great and sweet with the clean tone. This amp isn't noisy at all. You can make the sound you what but it's clearly made for heavy, rock and Blues. I'm not using any distortion or overdrive pedal on that amps, no need! The thing I like the most about that amp is the distortion, it's so powerfull. Man! it sound crazy, it's a Mesa Boogie!

I'm playing a lot of heavy metal and this amps is a perfect match for my style. I love the sound, it's the best buy I've ever done for an amp. The contour switch is my favorite feature. You can get an insane solo sound with that switch. If it were stolen and would seek and destroy the one Who took that beast away from me. I would buy an another one for sure.

It is my second Mesa Boogie and you can depend on it. This amp has never broken down. I would play without a back up for sure. There's no need for a back up when your playing with a Mesa Boogie. There is no fear to have with a Mesa Boogie. There is a 5 years warranty when you buying it new.

I'm not sure what year that amps was made in, I'm not the orginal owner of that amps. This combo is small for a 50 watts tube amps (class A/B power / 2x6L6, 4x12AX7 ), but man, it's heavy. This F-50 is very versatile, I play heavy, rock and blues on that monster. This amp have 2 fully independant channel and 3 footswitchable sounds (channel 1, 2 & 2 w/contour). Gain, master, reverb, for each channel and a bright Switch for the clean. It have contour switch, effects loops, silent record mute switch, headphone jack. I use it for gig and practice. Does it have enough power for you? Man this amps is so powerfull, it kills cows.

ChillBill
    I played it a couple of times, everytime with dimarzio pickups, either Tonezone or standerd dimarzio's in a parker fly. couldn't turn up the volume over 3. This is "the" guitaramp.
    jordy-77
    I give this amp a 8 out of 10. It is my main amp and sounds great. The distortion channel is amazing, very crunchy sound. The clean channel is pretty good too, it could be a little more brighter. It also weighs a ton. But overall an awesome amp!
    Bonsaischaap
    If you look on the back it says you shouldn't expose it to thieves
    RG_FANMAN
    Is 549.99 a good price for the F-50 used? I may think of talking them down to 500(the front cover over the amp, where the Mesa logo is, has seen better days). I need a new amp! My Marshall MG10cd is horrible!
    Shinozoku
    Nice classic Metallica reference I hope to get this amp when I get the cash. It'll be my first tube amplifier, I've heard only great things about it.
    High_Speed_Dirt
    for my own opinion i think that the dirty channel is good for metal, i can play nice crunch lead with..it depend how you set it. All my friend agree with me. my comment was for zerowing not you.
    MESAexplorer
    High_Speed_Dirt wrote: ZEROWING :there is only 2 channel but on the footswitch there is a contour switch. that gives the distortion a insane lead sound.
    I believe you are talking to me...I know there are 2 channels, dirty and clean, but the contour boosts the dirty channel into a metal tone. Without the contour, you have a distortion no where near metal, and you only have 1 EQ for the contour and overdrive. Thats why I have a bit of a love hate relationship with this amp.
    High_Speed_Dirt
    zerowing
    hey im a newb to this tube amp thing...i know mesa boogie's most likely the best high end amps you can use but thats not my question. what is is how long do tubes last, what kind should I buy, and how much do they cost also i dont get this footpedal. im guessing the amp has 3 channels, clean, overdrive, and ? also how good is the distortion?
    fade2black_69
    I'm using a Schecter Hellraiser FR with emg 81/85
    mine's coming in 4 weeks theyre emg actives by the way.
    MESAexplorer
    Woo, i wrote the review on the F-100 head. My biggest gripe about this amp is there isn't enough channels. The countour has a lot of distortion which i woudl use for rhythm, a tubescreamer is almost necessary if you want to play lead with this.