Lone Star review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Lone Star

Purchased from: Guitar Showcase, San Jose CA

I've mostly been exclusively using my C-336, PRS Custom with 3-P-90's and Melancon Chambered-T with the Lone Star. Though it sounds wonderful with single coils, humbucker's seem to expand it's possiblities. I love the fact that the clean's are so sparkly and full of life, that I can actually use the humbucker's with it. It easily takes the place of a JC-12O or Twin with the extreme plus of a valuble, very sweet and creamy gain channel. And mind you, it's not your usual Boogie over-kill receipe, but more of a Dumble type of overdrive, only with more gain if desired. Very Nice!

I play a myriad of styles with great emphasis upon Funk/Soul/Jazz Fusion World Beat and lots of solo background guitar gigs. I love both to scream and to play super clean, especially on the same gig. The Lone Star seems to provide both of these type of tones in a superior and immediately accesible fashion. Amazing Quality Indeed! I've been making a living at Music since High School toured the states for 12 years. Now I work as a fulltime musician on the CA Central Coast. This amp allows me to cut back on my setup (the load). No more on the gig amp switching problems. I've never liked my previous Boogies (I've owned 3 different ones). I need channel switching because I'm not much of a volume knob player. The cleans have always been too harsh and the gains overdone on the Marks 3 + 4. The Lone Star is the complete opposite. It cuts beautifully yet maintains a beautiful sound in any of it's different configurative possiblities. Viola! Mesa Magic.

So far, so good with the right back up tubes and fuses I'm prepared. I've owned two boogies in the past and the service fellow-up was always excellent whenever needed.

The Mesa Lone Star is the first Boogie that I've found completely useful for my personal use as an all around fulltime professional musician. The previous review runs down the amps capabilities perfectly. It's tweed setting is the perfect feel and sound for my softer gigs. Then to be able to cut through a band and still maintain excellent tone quality at those high volumes, says loads about it's very useful power settings.