Lone Star review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Lone Star

Price paid: A$ 1900

ok this amp is pretty sweet. I've owned it for 6 months now and I'm starting to get the hang of it. The clean channel is crystal clear doesn't break up at all which is what I expected. Especially through the 4x10 cab. I've played it through my Orange 4x12 cab and it didn't quite have the same presence still good just not the same. Style wise i really only use this for blues type stuff and Guthrie Govan sort of music. It nails them straight away. Took a while to get a good sound out of it. When i first played through it it was incredibly bassy then I found out Andy Timmons plays through one so I went on you tube and found him going through his rig and that really helped. With this amp I found I had to completely back off the bass. The clean channel doesn't distort when pushed and I pushed it in a band situation but this thing is freaken loud and cuts through easily. The distortion channel is a let down if you don't know how to use it. Once again I had to back of the bass completely. I also use this channel on 50 watts so I can push the amp a bit more. Oh also theres not much volume difference between the 50 and 100 watt setting i found the difference was more in the distortion. By this I mean the 50 watt option obviously has more distortion at less volume as opposed to the 100 watt. I also got the idea to use a bb preamp on top of the distortion channel as an overdrive (andy timmons) and it just gives an incredible tone. This amp really takes well to pedals. The BB preamp gives an extra dimension to the distortion channel coupled with a delay and it's pure bliss. I've seen alot of people ask whether or not this amp can do metal. No it can't jsut look at the name it says it all. Sure you could chuck a distortion pedal in front but then you'd be better off spending your money on a Rectifier, roadster or a Rivera knucklehead etc. This amp was made to deliver that classic blues sound and to me it does that great amp even if your not a fan of mesa. I give it an 8 because nothing is perfect.

I'm pretty versatile and own a range of amps and guitars. I bought this guitar primarily for it's clean tone and then when I played round with the distortion I knew I needed this amp. Been playing for ages but lately I've been lucky enough that I have been able to get my hands on some great amps for a good price and this one was certainly worth it. I had a Fender deville before and compared to it, it just seemed to like a bigger more controlled sound. They aren't better or worst than each other just different which is a good thing. If it were stolen I'd prob only buy one if I got it for the same price I did cause it was a bargain I certainly wouldn't pay the ammount for a brand new one. This amp is great for what it does but it does require alot of time with this amp to get a good time but reading the manual helps and watching andy timmons' you tube vids bout it are certainly worth the time. Great amp maybe a little to pricey brand new but that's how mesa work.

Never let me down thus far, the amp used to belong to my mate and it never f***ed on him. i always gig without a backup on account I don't have enough room in my car for another amp haha but seriously I have never had a problem with this amp. As long as u treat it with some love it'll be fine and maybe refrain from putting a beer ontop of it during a gig.

Not sure when it was made but I assume it's an earlier model seeing that it's the classic. My one is the head and matching 4x10 cab in blue bronco (I think that's what it's called). Feature wise it's got everything iv wanted in this type of amp. I use this amp in gigs, rehearsals and at home and it goes pretty hard. There is certainly enough power in this amp. Oh and for the record this review will have shocking grammar and spelling mainly cause I don't care bout it :s