Mark IV review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Mark IV

Purchased from: Gulfcoast Guitars

I use it with my Squier Strat (sss), and everyone knows that Squier, well, aren't that great of guitars. BUT, this amp does a fantastic job of making my second string guitar sound like a champ. I play everything from country style stuff thru hard rock, though if you are looking at one of these you are well aware of it's capabilities beyond that. When I first got it (used) it went into microphonic feedback when I cranked the master output, thus making the reverb seem shit because that knob is apparently very important for that to function well. That problem has since ceased (no clue why). The only limitation to how loud you want to play is the onset of deaf-ness, and I like my hearing so I don't put it up too loud. But boy is it a pretty sound. With all of the various knobs at your disposal many of which will also pull out basically doubling your options, you can make nearly any sound you want - from very thick/creamy/sludgy rhythm to fat melodical leads, or if you like it tight ;) (innuendo stops here) you can have it your way as well. With the right guitar you could play anything from the twangiest of country to the heaviest of metal.

I thought long and hard before I got this thing, and I'm sure there is something better out there for you if you are after one certain sound. What the Mark IV will give you is many different sounds that are all above average, and for me that was perfect as I like to play many things and have them all sound very good. I gave 10's to all because it is perfect for me - but remember there is no perfect it's all relative.

Mmm, I'm actually thinking about retubing it because I think it has Chinese preamp tubes in it and I'm starting to see more volume fluctuations. The MESA people I called seemed very friendly and get back to you within a day or so. It seems very solid and is quite likely it is made out of lead... it is very heavy!

1994 version I believe (it's one of the earlier second edition Mark IV combos, compact version). 3 Channels, 85 watts all tube power adjustable down to about 15 if I remember correctly. Slave D.I., Stereo/Mono Effects loop, Satellite send, recording out, 6 button footswitch - rhythm 1_rhythm 2_lead_lead w/eq_eq in/out_fx on/off. It's got a reverb that I originally thought was really lacking and pointless, but after owning it for 9 monthes I have found that it sounds amazing after you realize that the master output knob really effects the depth of the reverb. I have not experienced any hissing or buzzing with the reverb like the other reviewer mentioned. It has 2 four ohm slots and one 8, so you could make it into a stack of sorts if you wanted to. Oh and more buttons and pullswitches than you could shake a stick at.

Vitooch
    that picture isnt the iv is it ? i thought it was black cab n head ?
    oggiedoggy
    Vitooch: yep that's the Mark IV hendrixftw: It's because I'm poor now jackass
    Vitooch
    i want to get a mark 4 combo, does anyone know how much they would cost around used canadian?(or US not much differnce) i know they discontinued them :@
    natecool123
    i saw on eof these at guitar center for ~$3000 U.S. i think cause someone had made a special cab for it. purple curly maple. absolutly beautiful
    The^Unforgiven
    Would be a great amp but I'm so thinking of saving some serious money to get a shiny new Mark V. Everything about the Mark V screams "SWEEEEET!" and "PURE AWESOMENESS!!".
    hendrixftw
    ivan_2894 wrote: i cant believe the first guy... he lpays a squier through one of these beauties!
    I smell a troll... and wheres the Mark V reviews?