Nomad 100 review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Nomad 100

Price paid: $ 1975

Purchased from: Long and mcquade

I find that this amp produces better sounds when soloing rather than playing chordes (although i think my standards may be a little high here). But compared to the Fender Twin I used to play this amp kicks ass when it comes to just playing chordes. Suprisingly the dirtiest noise that you can get out of this thing comes out of the clean/pushed amp setting. I've played this amp in cramped basements, out side, and in great big (often empty!) high ceilinged rooms, and the sounds just impress me more and more. This amp probably doesn't get as gritty as a Marshall, but it is cleaner, and deserves the mark that i have given it.

the only problem I have with this amp is it's name, I'm sorry but having Marshall on the front just says something. But thats just a man hood thing (Hendrix, page, Clapton, all used Marshall amps). But of course some other greats (santana, robbie Kreager (the doors), pete townstede, the rolling stones all used mesas.) But after getting over being shallow i have to choose the mesa because of how well it works with playing the blues, all of the intricies that you do on the fret board come out of the amp, I love it. I would have no hesetation on buying this amp one more time! Of course I would have to look at the other products around (hey a year has passed!). Compared to the new F series (I only played this once) this is a much more vintage style of amp and vintage is what I am going for.

I have not yet had to fix a thing on this amp. If I had the cash for a second amp i might carry it as a backup, (but hey, even Eric Clapton had his amps break down in LA!). I think we have all seen what happens when equipment doesn't work. I have to give this product a 5 here because in over a year of heavy use (2plus hrs a day) I haven't had a problem.

With this amp, I have found tones for all types of blues, hard rock, anything. A really nice feature is a terrific reverb setting for each channel (there are 3 indipendent channels). Carlos Santana uses this amp, and it was him that asked mesa to add a indivigual reverb setting, it was also him that said that 'this mesa really boogies'. You have the choice of two types of 'settings' on each channel, clean/pushed, and modern/vintage, vintage/modern. this amp is very simple to use, although there is 18plus knobs on the front panel it takes all of three minuets to realise that each amp has it's own chontrols that replicate the other's controls. The only control that they each share is the solo output and the option of playing at 60 or 100 watts. All of these features combined make a good start of a great amp.