Nomad 100 review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Nomad 100

Purchased from: Online

I have used everything from a Strat, Les Paul, P90's, PRS, Gretch Hollowbody through this amp, all have been excellent and quick to dial in. I play in a classic rock band, with occasional modern music. This amp covers it all. The knobs on each channel allow for decent variations and each channel has it's own Gain, Volume, Treble, Mid, Bass, Presence, Reverb knob(s). Channel Switches: 1.(Clean/Pushed) 2.(Vintage/Modern) 3.(Modern/Vintage).

I've been playing guitar since 1972 (long time!). I Also own 2 Fender Twins (one sliver face, one Modern Tube Series), a Vox AC100CPH (another GREAT! Head), Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb series II, A Marshall JCM 900, Ceriatone HRM 100. If I lost the Nomad 100, yeah, I'd look for another one, I can play it in clubs at lower volumes or outdoor concerts where the volume will blow your head off! Love almost everything about it. Dislike? Hmmm 3rd channel can be a little hard to dial in, if you're not used to the amp.

I've had this amp for several years, NEVER had a problem with it. As any tube amp requires, change the tubes once in a while (when they get dull or lifeless sounding, or every few years (if you don't play it constantly). Use decent tubes (not the cheapest you can find). I've been using Winged-C's for power tubes and Ruby HG+ 12AX7's.

A 3 Channel head that absolutely ROCKS! (or fusion). 4x6L6's, which means channel 1 has a Twin-ish clean, even at high volumes. The 2nd channel is great for crunch or rhythm (can be heavily distorted if desired). The 3rd Channel is all the overdrive / distortion you'd ever want and more. The Solo button (on the foot switch), when you need to be out front (leads). A 5 band eq allows you to tailor your tone from classic to deep chug. I believe this is one of the most under-rated amplifiers out there. The trick?! A decent cabinet with good speakers. I've been using a Fender Birch-ply cabinet with 4x12 Celestion G12T-75's. Or a Mesa 2x12 cabinet with Vintage 30's in it.

Donner_Blitzen
    I have a Nomad 45. Also a Mesa Stiletto Deuce and Cornford Hurricane. The Nomad is to my mind as good as the Lone Star Special. More versatile, but takes some dialing in. I just got the smoothest brass tone ever from the bridge pup of my PRS CU24, and it loves humbuckers. Not really dialled in any SC's but going to try later. Mine had two problems. The first was that the channels were switching randomly. Drove me mad. Then after about two months I realised it was the connector cable. Replacement 30. Sorted. It also had the known pot problem, which is more than just a shaft size issue, but I called Mesa distributor in the UK and they sent me a full set of replacements free of charge, and the stickers for the knobs. Oreste at the distributor uses one, and he prolly gets to pick and choose. Very underrated amps, to my mind. Crank 'em and sink into the tone. Bliss.