Rectifier Recording Pre-Amp review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Rectifier Recording Pre-Amp

Price paid: A$ 1500

Purchased from: Ellaways

I use an Ibanez S5470, Ibanez EGEN8 and Ibanez S470 with this pre-amp and I think this amp suits these guitars nicely. I have a TC Electronic G Major and Rocktron Gainiac 2 hooked up to her at all times. I use this set up for recording late at night through headphones mostly because it is the only tube amp I own that I can use without a speaker cabinet. I own virtual amps racks and amp simulater VST's (Line 6 Pod X3 Pro, Roland GR-55, NI Guitar Rig 5, Amplitube 3) that I can use without a speaker but the Mesa beats them all hands down for playing metal and rock through headphones. And being all tube it reacts like a real rectifier. It also records beautifully. My only complaint is that if it's not tweaked properlaly she sounds a little muddy but turning down the mids and the gain and applying a little gain from the Rocktron Gainiac 2 fixes that problem.

This amp was on my wishlist for 1 and a half years but at $3400 AUD I just couldn't warrant the expenditure since I had never had the chance to demo it. Then I walked into the music shop one day and it was sitting on the specials table for $1500 as a ex-demo. I thought all my Christmas's had come at once and I gladly went without food for a couple of weaks to afford it. I write some of my best music at 3 in the morning so to have an all tube amp that you can plug into your desk and just go for it is a dream come true. It is very versatile and although it's speaker emulation could never quite be up to a nicely mic'd Dual Rectifier it does a very good job. My only gripe is that it's effects loop is'nt stereo. Nothing on the market compares. Great for blues, rock and metal.

Built like a tank and very solid inputs, switches and knobs. Made in the USA and to me that still means something. Never missed a beat in 4 years. Tubes still going OK after 4 years. Hell I've never heard a bad thing about this unit but it really didn't take off but that's probably due to it's high price.

Mesa Boogie Rectifier Recording Pre-Amp is a 2 rack space guitar amp designed for recording obviously. It has 6 x 12AX7 tubes and has a totally analogue circuitry. It has 2 fully independent channels - 6 different modes - Clean, Fat and Brit (channel 1) or Raw, Vintage High Gain or Modern High Gain (channel 2) It also has Independent Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass and Presence controls. It has 3 outputs- Live, Recording and Solo and also has separate stereo outputs for main and recording outputs. It also is designed to run with the Mesa Boogie Stereo series of poweramps. Comes with a 2 button footswitch.