Roadster 2x12 review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Roadster 2x12

Purchased from: Italmelodie, Mtl

I use it with a LTD EC-1000 Deluxe and a Fender Telecaster. So about the amp's sounds. Has I mention earlier, each channels has 3 modes. Channels 1&2 are clean. They both has a Clean and Fat mode. Clean is a pristine clean, really pure with a lot of headroom. Fat has more of a bass boost, really good for clean blues. The third mode of channel 1 is Tweed, which is the one I use all the time. Think Vintage Fender! Add some reverb and it sounds like heaven! It got a nice breakup past 1 o'clock, but I keep it clean most of the time. 3rd mode of channel 2 is called Brit, which is voiced to sound more like a Vox or clean Vintage Marshall. I use it with the gain at about 2-3 o'clock for a nice overdrive, a la AC/DC, really sweet! Channels 3 & 4 comes with Raw, Vintage and Modern modes. Raw is more of a low gain mode, again really good for softer cruch. Vintage is the one I use on #3, think Gun's & Roses and classic Rock, big Marshall like tones awesome! And finally, Modern is for the heavier stuff, big brutal distortion, huge "chugga chugga"! Playing Sad But True on this almost made buy this amp! On a more negatine side, it takes time to dial the sound you really want. Don't get me wrong, this amp sound really great, but with all there settings, it takes a little time to get familiar with it. An other thing is the reverb. It sound really good, but since it's a tube reverb, you need to crank your amp to really hear it, at its full potential. Finally it's heavy as hell to carry around. But overall, a really great amp!

I've been playing for 16 years now, and this amp is a dream come true! First I always dreamed of having a Mesa, until the day I want the to store to buy something, but came back with the Roadster, talk about a impulsive buy! I try some Marshall (JVM) and an Orange Rockerverb, and while the Orange is really great (I will buy one someday), the Roadster was better because it is so versatile! I use some pedals with it but you can get a vast variety of sounds just with his 4 channels. It may be the only amp I will ever need for the rest of my life. It got everything I need! The only big downside to it it's his weight, but I own a car so it's not a big deal! Plus, bandmates are there to help you too!

Even if I only own it for 4 months now, this thing seems to be built like a tank! I already did several gigs with it without a backup. I'm always carying spare tubes just in case! I'm giving a 9 because you never know! It comes with a 5 years waranty and you can see that Mesa guys really cares about theirs amps quality.

So much stuff on this amp! Where should I begin? Mine was made in 2007, bought brand new (I actually helped the guy to take it out of the box)100 watts, 6L6 power tubes, 4 channels, each with 3 different modes. Each channels has it's own EQ, with separate reverb, power (50 or 100w), rectifier mode (tubes or diode) and FX loop controls (in or bypass). You got a big 8 buttons footswitch that control each channels, reverb, mute/tuner, FX loop and solo mode. You can also bypass the global FX loop for a direct, full power sound. The Roadster comes standard with 2 Celestion Vintage '30s speakers. Talk about features! This amp gives me everything I need and more, and with 100 watts of pure Mesa power, I've got enough and more than I will ever need. I wanted a very versatile amp since I play a lot of style, and the Roadster was the answer for me! I play stuff form Radiohead, to The Black Keys, to heavy stuff like Tool and Lamb Of God.

rhcpfan118
    i've never played this amp, but i played a dual rec half stack and... holy crap. is it amazing. mesa is by far one of the best amp companies created. too bad i can't afford one :p
    Fridl
    This amp sounds great... I played with it once on a gig... My 200W was too big at that time... and I was realy like "WOW!"... so great amp man!
    TDAJGuitarist
    I have never played a roadster...But because its Mesa I am sure its amzing. I have a dual rectifier half stack and I love it!!!