Roadster 2x12 review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Roadster 2x12

Price paid: A$ 4495

Purchased from: Custom Music

I currently have two main guitars I play at the moment, a Fender Jaguar (bridge pickup has been replaced with a Seymour Duncan HOT Rails) and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus top. Both guitars sound awesome through this amp, the Fender has a much more cutting mids style sound to it whereas the les paul has a very thick sound to it. I have yet to throw a musical style at this amp that it does not do well, I'm very impressed by it. It does take some time to learn and dial in the sounds you want, but once you get familiar with it you learn you can do so much with it. I can get sparkling cleans, Marshall like almost cleans, great crunches, smooth overdrive, and brutal overdrive all from the one amp. Impressive.

This amp is brilliant, It does everything I want and more. I have been playing for 15 years now and I've had my fair share of amps (I still miss my old JCM900) but this one has all the bases covered I don't think I'll ever need another amp again. If this one were lost or stolen I would definately consider buying another one if the funds were available.

This thing weighs 42kg its built like a tank and gives the distinct impression of it being built to last a nuclear blast while still being functional. I have taken it to several places around the area to play through it so far and it hasn't even got so much as a scuff mark.

The amp is a late 2010 build. It has 4 channels which have three modes each, when you first look at all the controls you might feel a bit intimidated, don't be just look at it as if you have 4 amps in one and you will feel much easier about getting to grips with this beast. It has a fantastic footswitch for all the channels, reverb, effects loop, tuner mute, and solo features. I bought this amp because I wanted an amp that would be suitible for all the styles I play plus others I don't play yet but may in the future, this amp is increadibly versitile. Naturally this amp is an all valve amp with 100w of power, each channel has assignable power (50 or 100 watt) tube or diode rectfication, and effects loop settings. Each channel has its own 3 band EQ, Gain, Reverb, and Master volume controls. I use this amp mostly in my bedroom as the moment but I do intend to gig with it as I put together a new band.

duzit006
    can anyone compare the roadster w/ blackstars artisans 2x12?? for some reason im sure there is a reason why blackstars amp costs more than the roadster