Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb 50 Series 2 review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb 50 Series 2

Purchased from: Binghamtone Guitars & Amplifiers

I can play everything from, 50's Elvis (slap-back delay, clean), to Classic rock (Skynyrd, Stones, Doobies, Grand Funk, Journey etc.) to more modern Green Day, Simple Plan, to Metal. I mostly play PRS guitars, but have used a Gibson 335, a Tele, a Strat and a Gretsch through it... All work just fine with a minor tweak to adjust for each guitar's characteristics. The clean Channel is nice and chimey... Unless you switch it to "Raw" mode, then you get the cross between clean and break up (very bluesy sounding). The 2nd Channel has Raw, Vintage or Modern. I tend to use Raw for most things, Vintage for that darker Santana tone. I only use Modern if I really want that over the top overdrive for Drop 'D' or 'C' tuning.

I think PRS and Mesa Boogie are a fantastic match; like a Tele (or Strat) and a Twin, or a Les Paul and a Marshall. This amp has been used by Good Charlotte & New Found Glory, so it's obviously good enough for them! This amp sounds good with any guitar I've used. This amp is a little on the darker side on the 2nd channel(as compared to some other amps) and can be a little Mid strong on the 2nd channel as well, but that can be tamed with the correct adjustments on the knobs. This has been a reliable piece of gear for several years for me (at least 7 or 8) and I have practiced and gigged with it regularly. Mesa's are pretty much bullet proof and the company is great to deal with! I also have a Nomad 100 and a Lonestar, and have owned a DC-5 and Mark IV in the past. Never had a problem with any of them.

I've had this amp for several years, not a single problem with it. I change the tubes when they get dull sounding (I prefer Winged 'C' with this amp). This amp is not hard on tubes (but I don't play all metal at full volume either). For preamp tubes, I like Ruby HG+ or Electro-Harmonics. JJ's and Tung Sols have too much gain/overdrive (for my taste).

Rect-O-Verb Series II (New). I play in a classic rock band that does a few modern rock songs, this amp covers it all very well! Channel 1 for clean, I run a Chorus & Delay through the effects loop and a Wah & Overdrive between the guitar and input jack of the amp. I've played live at small and large clubs, I've used it outdoors (using a 2x12 cabinet with it). 50 Mesa Watts are better than most 100 watter's out there. All tube (2x6L6's & 12AX7's)... TUBES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Use good ones, not the cheapest you can find!

Pat_s1t
    Dr3amcast3r wrote: all 10s...meh, i'm glad you're satisfied
    This amp really is that good. The Rectoverbs are probably the best sounding Mesas out there, except maybe an early 90's Dual Rec.