Single Rectifier Solo 50 Head review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Single Rectifier Solo 50 Head

Purchased from: eBay

I was playing an Ibanez RG270DX with a DiMarzio Exolution in the bridge through an Engl 2x12 cab with V30s. The clean channel is really bad. It always breaks up, even at single note playing. Complex chords are impossible, except with turning the guitar volume down to 3/10 and compensating the loss in volume with the solo boost (power amp volume). This is acceptable, but sterile sounding. The pushed mode is pretty good. It has a nice creamy sound for lead playing, I like this one. Too bad that you can't Switch between this one and the clean setting without setting the EQ. Ch1 and Ch2 have a different voicing, so you can't get this sound there. Raw. This is nothing special. It's just a low gain mode for classic rock without any "wow"-effects. It does not have this Class A "thump". Vintage. This is probably my 2nd favoite mode. It has lots of liquid high-gain which is quite good for a certain type of leads. Heavy rhythm sounds are also possible. The problem is, that it sounds rather buzzy and sterile. I've tried to fix this by putting JJ EL34Ls into the power amp, which made it better, but not good enough. Modern. This channel is suited for shredding and easy rhythm playing. This is the tightest channel in the Recto, but it's not tight enough for Necrophagist, because the bottom end is too flubby. It is really great for power chords, though. It has much gain, but after 2:00, the amp sounds very compressed and worse than a solid state amp, so don't use that much gain here.

There is a myth that Rectos are awesome the metal amps. I'd rather call them awesome hard-rock amps, because they don't do metal that good. It's very important to forget these titles and try the amps yourself. There are so many amps which are better than the recto, so don't be a fanboy and don't buy an amp because there is a "Mesa Engeneering" sign on it. I've sold my recto some weeks ago.

I can't say much about that, because I had no problems with it. I just don't like the price politics of Mesa. In the USA, the prices are 100% ok, but in other countries, they are way too high. People are just buying them because there is this Mesa-hype, which is similar to that Marshall-fanatism. This is a rip-off.

Well, I guess that most of them know the features. Two channels with seperate EQs, parallel fx-loop, solo boost. Ch1 has two modes (clean and pushed), while ch2 has three (raw, vintage and modern). Unfortunatly, they are not footswitchable and have a very different approach to volume and EQ, so that you can't just switch them without tweaking. The solo boost and the channel Switch are footswitchable.

HavokStrife
    People like you are the ones that give Mesa a bad name because they don't understand it really takes a lot of time to tweak a Mesa because there's literally anything you want in that box. They don't have that time, or an equalizer to speed the process, so they sell it as soon as they give up. Sorry, but my 55 watt Nomad has a tight end for whatever the hell death metal band you wanna throw out, and I can't imagine a Recto not sounding way better than my amp.
    job4acowboy_
    sum41freak8733
    lol llama you didnt have to sound so harsh with the "job4ashittyband" comment , but i do agree with you , get a carvin V3
    DOOdooroCK
    job4acowboy_ wrote: should i buy a mesa/boogie i have a marshall jcm2000 full stack and im also running a b-52 head i am thinking of getting a dual or triple rec. or a stilleto would it be worth it?
    wtf man i envy u
    Golem29
    "There is a myth that Rectos are awesome the metal amps. I'd rather call them awesome hard-rock amps, because they don't do metal that good." Had to laugh at that one. Rectos are the industry standard as far as i'm concerned. Theres so much tweakability it's unreal, you can coax almost any sound out of them. Poorlly written review, and it's much too short to give a suitable impression.
    DrappedInBlack
    Mosquitocoil
    I own this amp, and it sure as hell does metal for me. This review is terrible! The clean isn't GREAT, but I can definately play it without breaking up... that was the first sign to me that this guy's a douchebag. It's REALLY damn tight, still heaps bassy and boomy for low quick chugging, but really really tight too. For the record, I'm playing an Ibanez SZ -> Mesa Single Recto 50w -> Marshall 1960A, and I can get a million sweet sounds out of that rig. Spend at least a few days playing with an amp before you review it.
    which ones pink
    DrappedInBlack wrote: mesa's not all its cracked up to be neither is marshall they just played thier cards well and advertised to get bands to use them
    I agree that Marshall is pretty much a sell-out nowadays, but Mesa still knows where it's at. The main reason you say this is because when someone says "Mesa", everyone automatically thinks, "Dual recto". Now Mesa has a lot more amps than the Rectos, an plenty of them are better. For example, this amp. This review is crap.
    CrimsonRoc
    wow. Another amatuer with too much money and not enough intelligence. And who the hell said that you can't get a good clean out of a mesa? lmao.
    which ones pink
    ^Exactly. I played a Mesa F-50 earlier today, and the cleans weren't Fender-good, but they weren't bad either. If I had had a chorus pedal that thing would have sounded awesome.
    RG_FANMAN
    you gotta sit with a Mesa and EQ it just right, otherwise they can sound pretty shitty. After you EQ it right (yea, it takes a bit, but it's worth it), it sounds great.
    hippyheaven1
    hang on... mesa say this about the single recto we took all the essential circuitry and ingredients of our fabled Dual Rectifier and simply stepped down the displacement surely thats basically sayin "we took the dual rectifier and made it less good so you can afford it"??? im not saying mesa dont make great amps... it just seems to me that the single reto HAS to be a compromise... to meet a price point - isnt that what its all about ??? marshall jtm30 MAJORLEY underrated amp !!
    llama
    You should not buy a Mesa or a Marshall. And no, job4ashittyband, it's not worth it. Just get a Carvin V3. You will NOT regret it.