Single Rectifier Solo 50 Head review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Single Rectifier Solo 50 Head

I'm playing a Jackson DK2T hardtail with Seymour Duncans stock, as well as a Epiphone Les Paul Studio. I play metal, metalcore (Trivium, KSE, AILD, Metallica), as well as some Hendrix and my own stuff. This amp on the modern setting paired with my Jackson just SCREAMED. I was able to shred out some riffs, as well as play Like Light to the Flies and Master of Puppets real easy. I just got back into playing guitar and just messing with it I was blown away by the sound. I can easily get some KSE tones (I plan on covering a few songs), and it just was the sound I have been looking for for far to long. When the guy at GC in North Attleboro demoed it to me on the clean pushed and Vintage it just blew my mind. i do not know what he was playing but we had the amp cranked through the 2x12 Recto cab and it just sang. The tones were amazing.

This amp was what I was looking for for far to long, I had originally started saving up for a Roadster but lost my job and I can tell you that the tones on this are EXACTLY what I have been looking for. I have been playing for about 3-4 years now, I stopped for a long time as I was predisposed chasing other things... But I am now back into playing guitar and needed an amp that would last me quite a while and this is it! If this amp broke I don't know what I would do... If it was stolen I can't say what I would do because I would probably be hearing from the DHS... This thing just screams metal for me, and I am sure with an my MXR EQ I can dial it in even better. I will easily be able to cover a lot of the bands I like sound's, as well as start writing my own songs with this. I plan on getting a 7 string next to expand my musical horizon... I can't wait to see how this amp plays with a 7 string. I just have to get the cab now and start shredding it up.

I haven't gotten to play with it since I got it home because I don't have the cab yet... but I am certain that this thing with the right care will last me a long time. This amp seems to be built like a tank. I got it used at a super steal and it had one minor little cut in the tolex but she looks like she would take a beating, but I plan on treating this thing like a baby. I plan on gigging with it once I am ready and my first impression is i wouldn't need any backup besides an extra set of tubes at the ready.

Not sure the year, will be contacting Mesa about it. Its a Mesa Single Rec 50 Solo )5 12AX7's, two 6L6)... I had always wanted a Mesa and when I saw this on the used portion of GC's site I drove the 2 hours to play with it. This thing rocks, pushed clean is really good but the Modern setting with the Solo feature just screamed... Only thing I wish it had was a Reverb setting but for what I paid I can shell out the extra cash for a Reverb pedal. I may have it modded by FJA and KT 88 biased, I am going to see how she runs with the current tubes... Its just a thought it sounded just fine though how it is:)

umar90
    Can this amp be used for bedroom playing without running it through an attenuator??