Stiletto Deuce review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Stiletto Deuce

Purchased from: West Music

Through my modded LP w/a Floyd Rose Tremolo, Burstbucker 5's, and mid-position Gibson Super Vintage Dogear P-90, the Stiletto Deuce is a truly fearsome beast. Channel One has two clean modes, and a crunch mode: - Fat Clean, which sounds fat (big suprise). - Tite Clean, which sounds tight. - Crunch, a lower gain, punchy sound. Channel Two has three hellish gain channels: - Crunch, very similar to the Channel One version, but with more gain potential. - Tite Crunch, another self descriptive channel, perhaps the best tube distortion I've ever heard. - Fluid Drive, like liquid fire! This flowing distortion is perfect for soloing, and is a pefect counterpart to Tite Crunch.

I am found of Black Flag, Soundgarden, Nirvana. Ah hell, just read my profile to get the idea. I've had my precious Stiletto for just four days, and I am ecstatic to have it. I am in love with it. I've played many tube amps, but this is the first I owned, and dare I say, the last.

No problems yet. I treat my amp like royalty.

Mesa Boogie has done it again. Not content to merely rest on his laurels with the seminal dual and triple rectifiers, Mesa founder/designer Randall Smith has given us a new design-one that is, at the very least, as great as any rectifier. Released in 2005, this amp produces a truly staggering diversity of sounds when plugged into the intended Mesa traditional rectifier cab. It has two switchable channels, each channel containing three sub-channels. The tone comes from EL34 tubes. The Deuce has 100 watts of power, but each channel can have its wattage individually reduced to 50 watts. Other features include an FX loop with a hard bypass, a bold/ spongy selecter, a solo feature that allows you to boost your volume with the footswitch, silicon diodes/tube rectifier tracking switch, and a presence knob that alters the compression of your tone.

bilbal
    I am presently waiting for my Stiletto to arrive. The wait is driving me crazy. I have had many Boogies in the past (Tremoverb, Tri-axis pre, Rectifiers, ect.) I have never been as stoked as I am about the Stiletto. I'll get back with my thoughts of the amp once it arrives.
    fender_212
    hey guys can someone help me out? I'm stuck between a mesa boogie single rectifier or a stiletto deuce. thoughts on which one would be better for pop punk like blink-182, mxpx, NFG, etc. it would be awesome if you could email me holt1992@hotmail.com
    kradamek
    at my music store they have one for about $1300 Can. it sounds great with the gain drilled to 11 but i was really impressed with how the clean tones especially the tight clean preset
    mhweaver
    I just bought a Stiletto Ace head. Awesome amp if you need maximum flexibility for a variety of sounds. If you only have one sound then you don't need it but the high gain setting gives you that classic Marshall sound since it uses the same type of tubes. I also own a dual recto which I love for metal but you have to blow your ear drums to get it into the sweet spot. You can drive this 50 watt head into the sweet spot at a much lower volume. This amp can still get pretty loud though. I am really liking this amp.
    dougy_55
    I got the deuce head through a recto cab loaded with celestion vintage 30's. it is far better than the dual rectofier
    RW3470
    The best amp I have ever owned and I have lots of high end stuff.
    maoriboi
    I gig mine hard out and it just keeps on performing night after night! I run the amp in the 50 Watt mode, which lets you drive the amp a little harder and it really does produce a beautiful tone. I think my Peavy 5150 MK1 had a smoother and warmer tone, but I'm loving my Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce. I have one setting and work the volume off my guitar ( Ibanez RG J Custom ) and with the 5 way switch I can play anything from country to Rock/ Metal
    candyman_1223
    Hi folks, the Deuce Stage 1 IS the last amp I've bought! Had one before and sold it in case of slipdisk problems. Now I'm back and bought a 2nd one and a 1960ax immediately. Couldn't be happier. CH-1 (fat): warm fendery twin tones CH-1 (tight): old hiwatt cleans with a marshall taste, TubeRec and gain pushed - smacking Strat tone, it's breathing, same as CH-1+2(Crunch): Plexi at its best I was in a shop to compare an xtc-EL34 20th anni with it, and man, the Stiletto burns down the first two channels of the xtc. Even more organic/dynamics sounding. Pricetag: used here im Germany a third or even 25% of the xtc- new. CH-2: (tight) I found myself turning down the gain pipe for a well defined JCM800 tone, the Mids are a weapon and secret at the same time. CH-2 (fluid): Good old MK IV tones, play with Mids, TRE + PRES - not as heavy as a MK IV-A but somehow as like as my 2000 MK IV-B. For heavier stuff use a boost or OD, or a Distortion pedal in CH-1 THIS AMP IS NOT THAT GOOD AT BEDROOM LEVELS - but who cares ;