Triple Rectifier review by Mesa Boogie

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reliability & Durability: 10
  • Features: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 10 Gem
  • Users' score: 8.9 (132 votes)
Mesa Boogie: Triple Rectifier
1

Price paid: $ 1200

Purchased from: Ebay

Sound — 10
All of my guitars produce amazing tone on any channel. Clean channel breaks up a but even when not using the pushed mode (add a little gain) but this is a good thing in my book! lower gain setting are sparkly clean, Fender esque. Channel two: vintage mode (classic rosk to hard htting rock sounds (think Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver, Kenny Wayn Shepherd, lead tones such as Tremonti, to Haynes, to Yngwie style tones with a stcked single coil). Channel three: mainly modern mode sometime Vintage. Much much darker, more volume, more gain,, loads of sustain, great for metal and drop tunings, great mid range response. On Vintage mode is good for lightr sounding grind metal, and lower gain ballads, as is channel 2 good for ballady stuff.

Overall Impression — 10
Rock/metal/hard rock/alternative/punk/'80s rock-metal amp does it all, could do other styles as well, country clean, chicken pickin, to jazz, to classic rock, to death metal to ska? I paired this up to a Marshall JCM2000 DSL-50, Marshall JCM2000 TSL-100, Framus Cobra, Engle Power Ball, and a Peavy 6505. In all aspects it outperformed, and out toned (is that a word) all of the amps had too much compression where the Mesa had just enough. The framus wasn't saturated enough, the engle was perfect minus the fact it had a flimsy mid contour, marshalls were very very bright and middy, no low end (not enough for me at least) and the Peavy had no cleans to speak of, plus a much buzzier sounding gain structure. The triple Recto beat them all hands down.

Reliability & Durability — 10
Tank. No back up. Maybe fuses, but no backup amp. Tubes go fast when you crank her, think of replacing them every six months to a year. I bought mine used, late '90s model, right around the addition of the "raw" setting. Great addition but I don't use it. Loads of great customer support via website. Love Mesa engineering they have the nicest people. Also, stick with ither Mesa tubes, or Ruby tubes.

Features — 10
FX loop enables a total out put controll and solo boost option available via foot switch. Also has the option to be run on silicon Diodes for rectification, and has a "old" Spongy" setting for pwer out out. Can be biased for EL-34's. Think that covers it? Very versitle. Loads of tonal variables.

13 comments sorted by best / new / date

    the.spine.surfs
    JeffReigns wrote: I guess I'm emo, I always have reverb on, even on my distortion, damn, I think I'll go slit my wrists now...
    Ah hah hah. Stupid screamo hogging all the reverb...HEY, SAVE SOME FOR INDIE.
    speedinc
    Satans_Shredder wrote: I Love how he compares a Triple Mesa to a Dual Marshall...thats like apples to oranges, wwhat a jackass. I guess thats cause the Marshall TSL blows the Mesa Triple outta the water
    Yea right. TSL got less power, isn't handmade, and sounds "ok". Mesa is probably the best amp I've ever heard. The old marshall stuff was MUCH better than the TSL anyway (ie.. JTM, Plexi, and so on). But personally I still like the Mesa tone better!!!
    1h81337
    i tried this amp last night high. the reverb sucked me in and i felt like i was falling into a deeeeep hole. this is a sweet amp.
    punksucks666
    well im just gonna say good on you for saving up that much money, in Australia, they cost like $5100, i badly want one, nice one guys
    E V H 5150
    Yeah, Van Halen, GNR, Bon Jovi, Quiet Riot, Steve Miller, Ozzy Osbourne, The Scorpions, they're all emo. I saw videos of some of their shows. Nobody was jumping. Nobody. Not even when Van Halen was playing Jump.
    Demonikk
    Jeez if you want reverb so much, go and buy a bloody reverb pedal! If you can afford the 3000-odd that the head and cab costs, I'm sure you can shell out less than 100 for a reverb pedal. Oh and about a tenner for an extra lead. And you can't really compare Marshalls to Mesas. They've got different target audiences and have different sounds. You can compare Mesas to Kranks, but that's about it.
    satellitesv03
    I agree that Mesa's and Marshall's are completely different amps. They each have their realms: Mesa covers the higher gain frequencies while Marshall can break up with lower gain very nicely. For anyone who cares, try the Mesa Triple with EL-34s. Just don't forget the bias switch on the back. It's awesome. It might be the sound that both of you can agree on. Plus, a Mesa Triple can become a Dual in a blink; just remove the two outer or inner power tubes. the 150W goes to 100W. Remove two more, you have 50W, or essentially, a Single Rectifier. This causes break up sooner. Hope this helps.
    bono_b
    satellitesv03 wrote: I agree that Mesa's and Marshall's are completely different amps. They each have their realms: Mesa covers the higher gain frequencies while Marshall can break up with lower gain very nicely. For anyone who cares, try the Mesa Triple with EL-34s. Just don't forget the bias switch on the back. It's awesome. It might be the sound that both of you can agree on. Plus, a Mesa Triple can become a Dual in a blink; just remove the two outer or inner power tubes. the 150W goes to 100W. Remove two more, you have 50W, or essentially, a Single Rectifier. This causes break up sooner. Hope this helps.
    Although if you change the tube arrangement to get the dual and single amount of wattage it still doesn't change the fact that duals were handmade, tripples wearn't.
    harley10_5
    well these amps are wayyyyy too trebly or bassy...im not retarded..what i mean is theres no in between when you set the EQ on it no matter how you set it its either extremly bassy or extremly trebly...theres no in between. and it has way to much power for anybody...youll never use all of it live because if you know what youre doing, your amp will be mic'd up live and the volume wont be push pst probably 20-30%. dont buy this amp and waste your money, buy something without as much flash and half the power and spend the rest on guitar mods or pedals or something.
    speedinc
    bono_b wrote: satellitesv03 wrote: I agree that Mesa's and Marshall's are completely different amps. They each have their realms: Mesa covers the higher gain frequencies while Marshall can break up with lower gain very nicely. For anyone who cares, try the Mesa Triple with EL-34s. Just don't forget the bias switch on the back. It's awesome. It might be the sound that both of you can agree on. Plus, a Mesa Triple can become a Dual in a blink; just remove the two outer or inner power tubes. the 150W goes to 100W. Remove two more, you have 50W, or essentially, a Single Rectifier. This causes break up sooner. Hope this helps. Although if you change the tube arrangement to get the dual and single amount of wattage it still doesn't change the fact that duals were handmade, tripples wearn't.
    Triple's are Handmade!
    speedinc
    AnxietyAngel wrote: F*ck You Guys, Randall Is Way Better Than Mesa
    Yet, because many greats (like Metallica) have switched to Mesa's... I guess your right Randalls are better... After all you've given soooo much evidence in you statement that proves your point.