Triple Rectifier review by Mesa Boogie

Mesa Boogie: Triple Rectifier

Purchased from: music-go-round

I'm running Gibson Les Paul Studio, TC Electronics Nova System and a Oversized Rectifer cab. I can cover alot of tonal ground with this setup. I mostly play modern rock like, Seether, Hurt, Rise Against, Smile Empty Soul and Breaking Benjamin. This amp is perfect for these styles, I run my gain on the red channel at noon and it gives me the perfect blend of clarity, punch and saturation. Even at high gain settings this amp is not very noisy, it does have a slight hum but that part of the territory. The clean on the Vintage Orange channel is very good for a high gain amp. Its not a shimmering clean but it can sound very good with the gain around 10'o clock and the presence turned up a bit and add some reverb. I can get an almost Acoustic sound with middle pickup position on my Les Paul and these settings. I enjoying fingerpicking songs like "Broken," "Sweet Delilah" and strumming though songs like "Rain," "Ohio" and "Needle and the Damage Done." It seems like whatever I want to do this amp can get me there. One of the questions for this section, "Is the clean channel distorted at high vloumes?" the answer is no. You'd make your ears bleed trying to get the clean channel to power tube break up. I mostly use this amp in my bedroom and it sounds good even at low volumes. the reason for this is Mesa rectifiers get there sound from the preamp and not the poweramp like most other amps which allows this amp to sound good at bedroom levels. Don't worry, I also crank this amp when no one is home and it sounds amazing at higher volumes. I can't help but give this a 10 in the sound department.

For modern rock this amp is perfect. It does take patience when setting up this amp, the eq reacts like no other amp I've had. It took me a few weeks of twisting and turning to find the perfect sound. Read the manual, it will explain how the eq works and will save you alot of headache. Eq with your ears not your eyes. I'm going to give it a 9 because there is always room for improvement.

I'm sure I can depend on this amp. I don't have a backup for this amp, but I always have extra tubes and fuses just incase something happens. It has not broken down on me yet. Mesa is great with customer service. I called to order a tube guard for my amp, no one answered so I left a message and the got back to me in 30 min.

My Triple Rectifier was made in July of 2000. Only 2 channels on this one (Vintage Orange and Modern Red). This is one of the last of the 2 channel rectifiers made. This amp has lots of different settings: Bold/Spongy, Silicon diode/tube rectifiers, channel cloning which allows you to make the modern red channel sound like the Vintage Orange or vice versa. It also has a parallel FX loop and a slave out. Its 150 watts of power, 6 6l6 power tubes, 5 12ax7s, and 3 rectifier tubes gives it a grand total of 14 tubes. It has more power than I could ever need but the bigger power transformer gives the Triple Rectifier a unique tone. I really couldn't ask for more.

Taint McGooch
    HELLSHREDD wrote: Check any mesa out on U-tube & see for ur-self that they sound like crap.I have the new spidervalve Hd-100 & that has amazing tone compared to that over-rated , over powered, buzzy sound ya get from a Mesa& i mean any mesa ! I have not once seen someone get a wonderful tone from these junk piles , i even owned one & i took it back & now im happy , im a metal head & mesa suks bunk , dont waste ur money , go buy a line 6 & have half the loudness But amazing tone.
    yeah...cuz Line 6 absolutely rox...that's why the only thing of theirs that's used by ANYBODY decent is the POD or the DD-4 delay pedal...even the SpiderValve cannot stand up to My Peavey Valveking that's been collecting dust for years...the only good thing about the Spider series is versatility, which if you take a Spider series amp and A/B it against a Mesa...or whatever for that matter with the same effects as your stupid "preset", you'll realize the Spider series is the crappiest Modeling job you've ever seen...I'll take a Digitech Rp series (blech) before i waste 800 bones on a Spidervalve, try a freaking Peavey Vypyr...blows the Spider away...enough ranting...the bottom line is...buy what you like...spend months A/B ing amps, find your tone, if it's a local shop some places will even let you take equipment home to try out (for a security deposit, of course) so you can see how it sounds with a band behind it...i spent MONTHS trying equipment out before i got the Triple Rec, trying everything from Peavey 6505, 5150, to Marshall JCM800/900, to Bugera 333 and everything in between before I found my tone...check it all out, there are some amazing things out there
    EvilAngel93
    Line 6?!?!? Really dude? I own a Spider III 30 watt and have played on a Spider Valve multiple times, but I also own a Mesa Rectoverb. I've tried playing on one, then the other, and the Mesa always comes out on top. Plus there's a difference between Youtube and actually playing the damn thing. Oh yeah, and Line 6 is a modelling amp. Guess what the Metal/Insane channels were based on? A Mesa Dual Rectifier. The only amp comparable to the grind of a Triple Rectifier is a Bogner Uberschall....the king of metal amps IMO. Yet as they cost an arm and a leg, and they're pretty much on-par or maybe a little better than a Mesa, I'm fine with a Mesa.
    duzit89
    stumac8 wrote: Never used a Mesa, never will. Marshall 'Garbage' does the trick for me, and its done the trick for thousands of guitarists including: Hendrix, Page, Kossoff, Angus and Malcom Young etc. I rest my case. ps. The guy who wrote this review is a bit crap.
    "Never USED a Mesa".. you should have just stopped there...
    kian89
    i wanna know one thing . what do they do with a rectifier in an amplifier ? and what is its significance , because i've seen a dual rectifier also . so plz explain it to me . i am not that familiar with amps. comment on my profile for this becuz i might not come here to read things again,and there is no comment reply feature here. thank you
    gatzmer
    All dual and triple recs are hand made in the USA. I am a boogie man. lol! TSL100's blow(owned one), DSL100's aren't that bad(I own one),Mesa's triple is simply the best. The 2010 triple has more options.