AD30TC Combo review by Orange

Orange: AD30TC Combo

I am using it for post punk and jazz fusion; it is sympathetic to both. I don't think it is 'voiced dark' - it all depends how you dial the thing in. There is no hum from this amp, although my guitar pickups are quite silent so this could help. My drummer fears some of the distortion and volume leaps I use - I use channel one for stays cleans with the gain low and run effects into the front - contrary to what some say it handles effects absolutely fine as long as the gain is not excessive and the effects are in suitable chain - I run a delay first into a tremolo/pitch shifter/reverb/ Devi Ever shoegazer/crybaby wah. The second channel is my amp distortion and is beast - I crank it loud for jumps in tone and volume. The distortion is dependent on volume, breaks up well. Anything can sound brutal if you play it right(wrong?).

This amp will permit you a host of beautiful tones as long as you know how to dial them in, that you have a sound in mind when playing. It fits what I do perfectly. I have been playing for twelve years and currently use a japanese Jazzmaster with Seymour Duncan quarter pounder pickups. Still wish Orange built reverb into it although there is nothing cheap/flat about the sound from this amp. A common complaint with this amp is that it hates pedals - I think those complaints involve digital Multi-FX units as I have had no probs with electro harmonix, boss, Dunlop or Devi Ever pedals. This amp is comparable to the Vox Ac30's, but with better distorted tones. It was a close call between this and a Rockerverb MK2 and this won out simply through having more channel versatility and being a lower price.

As a head rather than a combo the tubes last longer - it is built like a tank. People have complained about Orange stock tubes but I think this really depends on whether you have a combo or not. Combo's kill tubes, especially when cranked.

This review is for the head and not the combo. A two channel amp tube amp, with no frills - plenty loud through a 212 Cab - would appreciate reverb in this, not much to ask considering the (if bought first hand) price and the competition. 8 is for the price and lack of reverb.