Crush 10 review by Orange

Orange: Crush 10

Purchased from: Used at Musician's Warehouse Athens Ga

I play mostly clean fingerstyle, going for a Chet Atkins kind of sound. I play a Strat-like guitar with single coils and a sort of Paul-ish one with humbuckers. This thing sounds really nice and much bigger than it has a right to. I really like the closed cabinet sound, and something in the amp colors the signal in a nicely musical way. I'd like to know how they do it without tubes or fancy patented emulation circuitry. Sounds nicer and has more character to my ear than amps with digital FX and amp Sims onboard. I actually like it better than my Micro Cube that got stolen. Yes, it has enough power. 10 watts will Drive the speaker more than loud enough to deafen you. Yes it's good enough to gig with. It might not throw the bottom end all the way to the back of a big hall, and then again, it might, but that's what sound reinforcement is for, so mic it. The vast majority of you have way too much amp. If you're worried that it doesn't look serious enough, put it in an empty 4x12 cab and mic that. I guarantee you that no one will know the difference. And your stage volume will stop causing problems. But even on its own, this is quite enough for a small club. And I say that as a guitarist who plays clean with plenty of bottom, ie, I use the headroom! This thing will do a spanky, trebly Fender like sound just fine, but I like a darker sound, and it's really good at that. 3 band eq gets you right where you need to be, and the rest can be done with your guitar's pickup selector and tone and volume pots. The distortion sound seems fine, but if I want that, I'll stick a Tube Screamer or Blues Driver in front of it. Hey, there's your channel switching.

I play jangle and folk and Americana music derived from bluegrass and country blues. I guess Orange is supposed to make amps for headbangers or whatever, but it suits me to a T. Been playing this stuff 35 years. I own and have owned just all kinds of combo amps, from 100 watt all tube combos to Fender Champ, early Gibson Triode amp, Epi Valve, many other tube amps, and solid state amps both big and small. This is one of the great ones. If it got blowed up, I'd need another, or the new Pix 12, which seems almost exactly the same except for the labels.

Aside from portability with nice sound, the reliability and durability of this amp are its big strengths. Got mine used, and the dings in the Tolex say it's been Rode hard. Still sounds good as new. There's just not a lot to go wrong on an amp like this, unlike your tube amps and digital wonder amps. It could use something a little more solid for jacks. Otherwise seems pretty bulletproof. I'd gig with it, without backup, but more to the point, this would BE an awesome backup for anyone who gigs with a small to medium sized tube combo. You know how tube amps are. This is a reasonable substitute for most uses, and it will not fail, and it's nothing to throw into the car just in case.

Single channel closed back 10w solid state guitar amp with a 6.5" speaker, 3 eq knobs, 2 gain knobs, and a master volume. 3 band eq is a really nice feature in an amp like this. What would make it totally super awesome is spring reverb, but you can't have everything. I like that it doesn't have a lot of stupid digital features that sound fake. This just a simple little amp that sounds nice. It has a headphone jack. Plugging into it cuts power to the speaker. This amp's best feature is a lack of stupid features. So let me say something about the color. Orange looks boss, and it isn't boring, and it's not trying to look all bada-s and metal like some amps.

Scott Burright
    I should have said that this amp is a 9 or 10 "for what it is," which is a cheap solid-state subcompact amp. Obviously, if someone offered to trade me a hand-wired tube combo for it, well, it's not a 9 or 10 next to that.
    Demency
    Hi, could someone advise me please I'm wanting to sell my Daughters AMP she thought she wanted to learn but as it's sat at the back of the cupboard for the last FOUR years with guitar !!untouched!! it's time for it to go. I've been looking at 'Google' picture search but none are quite a match. It is an "Orange crush 10" but on the back plate it states 20 watts ?? is this just me being stupid and it is in fact a 10 watt just like you are talking about? also on the pictures of the "Orange crush 10" (10 watts) it shows the power source on the back plate where as hers is placed elsewhere... sorry rambling now lol.