Crush 15 review by Orange

Orange: Crush 15

Price paid: € 120

Purchased from: Thomann Cyberstore

I use it with my Squier Telecaster and it surprises me how such cheap equipment can deliver this amazing sound. It has a real sweet Fender-style clean sound, which is really good for styles such as blues or funk. If you want a bit more gain, the overdrive knob lets you blend in a 60s kind of crunch that suits perfectly any rock song. Besides, the (true) spring reverb lets you dial in a very nice ambience effect, and it can even play Surf. However, despite the high volumen this little amp can deliver, the range for distorion is much smaller, and it cant play anything heavier than The Sex Pistols, so dont use it for metal.

I have a very simple gear, Tele-Cry Baby-Fuzz-Amp, but Ive already played a couple of gigs and it responded better than any other solid state amp I tried. When set to a mild distortion, this thing can even emulate a valve sound, and the reverb is simply amazing. When I played Hendrixs "Hey Joe", I was amazed how nice it sounded, especially when playing rhythm. If I couldnt afford a valve amp, I would deffinitely buy it again.

This thing is absolutely rock solid. Ive treated it badly for over a year and it sounds as the first day. Because its solid state, you dont have to look after it very much, and you can even play a little gig with it without any worries (I played in my high schools talent show in front of 300 people, and everybody could hear it and I didnt have to worry at all).

I play mostly blues/classic rock in the style of AC/DC, Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix. I purchased this amp basing on Internet reviews swearing for Orange and, I must say, they arent exaggerating. This little 15 watt solid state amp really meets my approval. With just 3-band EQ, reverb (my model is 15R) and a gain knob (I dont count the volume), this amp can really make a wide range of sounds. However, it doesnt have channel switching, so the changes must be done manually.