Crush 30R review by Orange

Orange: Crush 30R

Purchased from: Merchant City Music

My guitars are as follows: Fender MIM Tele Fender Lite Ash Strat Fender CD60 Electro-Acoustic Ibanez JTK2 With this amp I like to go for a slightly gritty clean and a light overdrive (I base my tone on the Arctic Monkeys. This amp delivers those sounds with ease and very little adjustment is required to acheive these (little or no Bass, full(ish) High and Mid, reverb at around 1 or 2, gain halfway). This amp can be quite noisy, especially on the dirty channel, but I don't mind because it's worth it for the sound it makes. It suits my style perfectly. As it's solid state, the tone on the clean channel changes only slightly as you crank up the volume, so plenty of headroom if you keep the gain down. I wouldn't say the range of sounds available is particulalry wide, but if you buy Orange you should know what to expect tone-wise! The distortion is not particularly heavy - for death metal, you're gonna need a different amp - but for my uses, is great.

I have been playing 3 1/2 years, and like to think of myself as an intermidiate player. I had no questions when buying this amp - I tried it and loved it! If it was stolen, I would go straight out and buy 2 more! Before this, I had a Marshall MG30 - awful amp. Unusable and ugly sounding distortion, and a fairly average clean channel, just not for my style of music. Of course there is only one thing that annoys me about this - why don't they do a louder one? The next amp up in the range is 600! Can't they just do a 50/100 watt solid state amp for the Orange customers who can't afford valves?

Yeah, I would say it is dependable. I'd use it on a gig without a backup (I have before! ) and be pretty confident that it would be consistent. One small niggle - where the amp power cable plugs into the back of the amp can feel quite loose sometimes, but this is only a small niggle that doesn't make much differnece. It's never broken down in the 7 or 8 months I've had it.

I dunno when it was made. I play Indie/Rock/Pop/Alternative (stuff like Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party. But also Chili's and Muse) and this amp is perfet for me. You probably know the features by now, but, should you need a reminder. Solid-state, 2 footswitchable channels - clean and dirty, shared gain knob and 3 band eq, reverb, line out jack, 'phones jack. I use this amp for practice at home and band praxctices, and use it at school for music lessons and small performances. Only one con - I would prefer seperate EQ and gain knobs for each channel, but is that asking too much?

boozin_monk
    is this amp good for led zeppelin and similar classic rock? or would a vox or something be better? cheers
    Survivalism
    AlexAvarice wrote: It's a shame it's so weak. I've played on this amp a few times and the quality is superb, but with such little wattage, you would have to mic it and if you don't have a Grade A PA system, you could compromise your sound. I want to see them make a Crush Head or maybe a combo compatible with a cabinet.
    I bet that's why it's a practice amp, what do you think?