Crush 35RT review by Orange

Orange: Crush 35RT

The Crush 35RT is a brand new combo amp in the line from Orange. Basically, it strips away the electronic rubbish on the other Crush combos in favor of a pure two channel design. The first channel is clean, while the second is dirty. Both are shaped by your standard tone knobs (low, mid, high), and the distortion on the dirty channel is controlled by a gain knob. Each channel has its own volume. There's also an emulated splash reverb controlled by a simple knob, and a digital tuner. The back has an effects loop for delay, modulation, and reverb.

One of the coolest features is the lineout, which emulates the sound of the amp mic'd up to a 4x10 cab. This is an awesome feature for headphone playing, and also DI recording.

This little amp is an amazing powerhouse. It carries the signature Orange tone, and despite being a solid state sounds unbelievably like a tube amp. Plus, it's absurdly loud for a 10 inch speaker; I have to stay well below 12 o'clock for my drummer to keep up. But if that's not enough for you, the line out is phenomenal through a PA.

The clean channel is spot on, especially with a bit of the splash reverb: really crisp mids without overwhelming highs. When you crank the volume on the clean, it starts to break up into a natural overdrive (I found this around 1 o'clock). With a delay pedal in the effects loop I got some really cool sounds.

The dirty channel is a whole other world. It goes from a light distortion that can be great for surf like riffs to a full out brutal onslaught with a turn of the gain knob. To my understanding its a 4 stage gain, so you have to experiment a bit to find the level you want. The channel takes pedals (before the input) really well. Note: if the gain is set all the way down you won't get any sound.

I tend to play music ranging from alternative and indie rock to some punk and grunge. My band mostly plays and writes music inspired by Nirvana, Arctic Monkeys, Royal Blood, and early Muse. It's really perfect for that sound, especially when coupled with my boutique fuzz pedal and MXR distortion! I tend to play through the dirty channel, with the gain around 1 o'clock and reverb about 12. I keep the highs cranked up, then the mids and lows falling in after.

On my own I play a lot of softer music ranging from John Mayer to Radiohead. This is where the clean channel really shines for my use, as a distortion pedal can give you enough dirt for choruses and solos. I also play a lot of music in the vein of Parquet Courts; it doesn't quite get the signature sparkly highs, but it does the job. I play a Fender Standard Strat.

It's built really solid. Only the weave of the speaker seems fragile, which is to be expected. All the knobs are secure, inputs and outputs are solid. The power cord is thick and industrial, so you don't have to worry about it getting damaged much. You can definitely gig with it without a backup. I really don't expect that the signature orange is going to wear or fade, I think it's a sort of rubber coating. Looks really sweet, too!

Haven't had it that long so can't add much here. If there are any problems in the future I'll definitely post an update.

This amp is an absolute godsend. At the moment, it seems that there isn't anything else in its price range that can match it. For less than $300, you really can't go wrong on this. It's incredibly versatile in terms of tone, and works for practicing, recording, and even gigging. I wasn't expecting this amp to be as much of a workhorse as it is, but now I'm not sure I'll ever need another of its class. It easily outran every Fender and Marshall combo I've owned.

A must buy amp for sure! Doesn't matter your skill level, anyone can use this in their collection.

Chima53
    My normal rig is dual amp with one amp being tube the other solid state. After my Behringer started to malfunction and my Bugera BC30 died on me I decided it was time to upgrade to an actual Vox AC30 and consider a change to a higher quality solid state. Tried this once for 15 minutes and was ready to buy. Though, as in other solid state amps, it lacks the input response of a tube amp it did give me the British tube tone I felt would work nicely along side my AC30. And given it weighs a lot less than the AC30 so I don't have to lug two heavy amps around to gigs, it was an easy choice.
    snshami
    Your comment about it lacking the input response of a tube amp is totally wrong. You can turn up the gain say a bit after 12 and then get a clean sound just by striking the strings gently. It is awesomely responsive in that way.
    Chima53
    To say I'm "totally wrong" is totally wrong. Remember I play this along side a Vox AC30, my now repaired Bugera BC30, a Bugera V22 or a Fender Deluxe Reverb in different stereo configurations. The response of the Orange is quite similar to other solid state amps, including amp modelers I own and have tried. In the store I played this as well as an Orange Tiny Terror, a tube amp. And the response to input and pick attack is markedly different. But that is the reason I use a solid state amp with a tube amp in a stereo rig, for the very reason of the difference in input response. If there was no difference I would not use it in my stereo rig...and still do. No matter which tube amp my mood calls for I still use the 35rt on the right side.
    rcourtney3396
    I picked one of these up, and agree that it sounds great...whenever I'm not getting a ton of static/noise coming through it when I pass any type of gain (on the distortion channel or clean channel through a pedal). Opened a warranty claim with Orange, but the repair center said there's nothing wrong with it..just a "noisy amp.' But it's almost unusable. Have you had any of those issues, and if so, how do you get around that? I've tried a million different cables, different outlets, rooms, guitars, pedals...every normal thing you would try
    snshami
    I am curious what type of pedal did you use, what were the settings on the pedal. In general distortion pedals do add a lot of noise to an amp. Also what guitar and what kind of pickups are you using.
    garystevens004
    I can't remember hearing a small amp that is solid state in this price range that has the sound that this one does. It has the sound of a tube amp...maybe not that of a Mesa Boogie that costs 5 or 6 times more, but all the same, in this price range I've not heard anything like it. It has big volume and sound for a little amp. With no pedals hooked up, it has both great clean sound and a great rock and roll overdrive that nothing else I own has and we have been quite fond of our little Marshall. I haven't done much experimenting with it, but my son has been playing an Ibanez ARZ800 through it and that particular guitar has taken on a whole new life through this amp. I was going to sell that particular guitar, but with the addition of this amp that guitar has become one that's a keeper. This is the first Orange I have purchased, but I highly doubt it will be the last. For somebody who is on a budget that wants a fantastic sound and enough volume to wake the neighbors, this is a fantastic choice. Don't let the relatively small size fool you. The small size does make it fabulous to carry and go also. I bought it based on other reviews and I'm glad I took the time to read them. Almost every one of those people were just as impressed as myself. I also picked the Orange Crush 35 RT as one of my top choices for small guitar amp on my blog - https://bestamps.net/small-guitar/