Crush PiX CR20LDX review by Orange

Orange: Crush PiX CR20LDX

Purchased from: GAK

On the amp, their is a Volume, High, Mid, Low, Overdrive and Gain. It also has a built in chromatic tuner which is very nice. My main guitar is a Fender MiM Telecaster, and it picks up the cleans really nicely. I like playing stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers, and a lot of mellow Acoustic music, and it sounds really good. As for heavyer stuff or punk, it handles it well considering I'm playing it on a Telecaster. With humbuckers this thing can really go. Its versitle enough for everything I do. This amp is very loud, with the distortion I would probably always have it around 2, never much louder, because after that it tends to distort. I do use it for rehearsing with my band, only temporary though. We play with an electric drum kit, so its loud enough, but the hum is generally there. I would never gig with it, as I don't think the sound quality is good enough, and their is no way it would be loud enough without being mic'ed up. But for rehearsals and practice, this is perfect for me.

This amp is perfect for my practice. The inbuilt Tuner and the effects are cool for just messing about, or getting a general idea about the sounds you want to get. I have been playing for about a year and a half now, and I don't think I will ever sell it. I'm going to buy an Orange Tiny Terror Combo so I have a proper amp for giging and recording, but this has done me well in my rehersals and practicing at home, its one of the best practice amps I've played on. If it were stolen, I would buy another one, perhaps upgrade to the CR35DLX for the footswitch. If you are looking for a practice amp or starter amp I would definatly recommend this for begginners and pros alike.

I've never really had any problems with this amp. I take it around with me a lot, and it has handled it really well. There is a few dents on it, and a couple of tea stains :) but its taken a few falls well. As I said, I wouldn't use it at a gig, since its just a practice amp after all, I would imagine it would sound bad since it would need to be really cranked. The only problem I had was when using the Flanger settings I had a kind of flanger-feedback happening, like a wavering hum. This has only happened twice though since I've had it.

These are the new range of practice amps from Orange. I had often heard bad things about the old Crushes but after doing some research and seeing these new ones I decided to take a look. I brought this as a bit of a gamble. When it was released I spent a while researching the pro's and con's, wether it was acually even good or not, and found very little. What stuck out was this Youtube video I thought the tone he was getting from such a cheap amp was just brilliant. So I went down to GAK and picked one up, and I must say I was very impressed. I play a very varied styles of music, pretty much a little bit of everything, and I find this amp is very versitle. I would say you can get most clean styles sounding good out of it, and more "common" metal (Like Metallica). I've never tryed, but I doubt it has the gain for playing Death or Black Metal. Its a modeling amp, and comes with Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Flanger, Tremolo and Vibrato, with various different settings for each. Being a modeling amp, these effects arn't great and I generally don't use many of them. The chorus is good, and the delay works well (Sets to 100ms, 175ms, 300ms or 600ms) and so is the reverb. The thing I really like is the Chapel Reverb. It gives a really great, ethereal sound and you can get some really cool tones from it. The main thing I wish it had that it doesn't is the avaliblity for a footswitch, but the model above, the CR35LDX does have the option for this.

CapnKickass
    Never expected orange to make a modeling amp. My crush died after about 3 and a half years, got a vyper and it's way more versatile and better sound.
    Skinny91
    seemeel wrote: That youtube video sounds awful... Some skilled shredding and a buckethead guitar can't disguise the fact that this sounds poor. Anyway, I daresay you've been fairly generous with this review. The Crush series is to Orange what the MG series is to Marshall... A stain on its product list.
    I agree I was a tad generous, but in the end I wasn't expecting some amazing Orange tone from a 100 practice amp. I wrote this in that mindset, which is why it came out like it did.
    foster.getagrip
    Yeah, definitely for what you paid, it's a good amp. Orange is a good brand, even if it is the crush series.
    jean_genie
    I don't know why people are being so negative. I mean, has anyone ever played a sub-$200 amp that sounded fantastic and had more than three knobs and 5 watts? I've only been playing 11 years, and I certainly haven't. The closest I've played so far is the new Fender Mustangs, and the best I can say about them is that they sound awesome ... for a cheap amp. The fact is that if you're expecting anything more than practice amp quality for this price, you'd better learn how to build it yourself.
    mlukeroberts222
    Grungic
    mlukeroberts222 wrote: I just bought one of the 35-watt Crush amps and I must say you cannot get a better amp for the price. You always get what you pay for and for $250 bucks this amp is an absolute steal. Great sounds, great tone, and in my opinion the effects are underrated.
    Just did the same. Agree! Excellent value for money (and the reverb+delay effect is amazing)...great classic overdrive! for the price it's totally worth it in my opinion
    thatmikedude
    i have the 35w one and love it but has anyone tried using it's line out to a 2x12 or 4x12? i need more volume but dont have any cabs to plug into and see how it works
    billywhizz!!
    First off I believe there are few truly bad amplifiers these days, but there are amplifiers that suit your personal style and those that don't. Consider the features available on this Orange PRACTICE amp and then consider that you could easily pay the same or more for one dedicated foot pedal... I like the tone of this amp nice cleans and great over drive, some well presented effects, drop dead gorgeous, and a built in tuner which makes life easier, plug in, tune up and rock out. Ideal as it's not too complicated for the beginner, providing good range of tones and effects to experiment with, to the more accomplished musician who could use it as a sketch pad to try out ideas. So is it the right amp for you, how would I know, what I can say is put it on your audition list and just maybe you'll be going bananas over a peach of an orange amp which is certainly no lemon and will be the apple of your eye... ok enough already
    seemeel