Crush PiX CR20LDX review by Orange

Orange: Crush PiX CR20LDX

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I play an Ibanez RG350DX (the one with the pearloid pickguard) with the stock Infinity pickups. I play mainly hard rock, metal, and alternative rock though I really play most styles of music. The main downside is the humming at higher volumes/higher gain. It gets worse if the guitar is near it while you aren't playing. Also the chorus, flanger, tremolo, and vibrato effects add their own sound while you aren't playing. The reverbs however, are freaking amazing. I absolutely love the reverbs on this thing. For higher gain music I'd recommend a pedal. The distortion on this is nice and warm sounding, if you put the overdrive up all the way you can get a really fast Drive that sounds pretty similiar to Family Force 5.

You can play most styles of rock with this thing, save for very high gain stuff. I've never played blues or anything like that so I'm not sure if you could get a good sound for those styles of music. I think this is best fit for punk rock though, as I said, it's very versatile. I was on a rather low budget at the time and I needed a good practice amp so this is what I got. I really only compared this to a Fender Frontman and this won due to the effects and a few YouTube demonstrations I found. I wish this came with a footswitch just so I could save a few extra seconds of my life, also the vibrato could use a good deal of improvement. If this were lost/stolen/broken I'd probably buy a better amp somewhere in the 500-700 USD range. The tuner on this thing is absolutely amazing.

I've had this for about six months and it has never let me down. I can't find any cosmetic damage on it anywhere, and it still sounds like the day I got it. The only thing that concerns me is the wooden grill on the front seems a bit soft, so I've been very careful not to expose that to too much possible abuse. I've actually played in the VBS band at my church this past summer with this and it sounded great. This can handle small gigs. And take note that this was outside competing with a thousand dollar+ PA system that the church bought for the acoustics, as well as a nice Fender combo bass amp.

This little amp features a headphone jack, auxillary jack, master volume, 3 way EQ, switchable overdrive, and a gain control. This thing also features a chromatic tuner and sixteen effects: four reverbs, four delays, two choruses, two flangers, two tremolos, a vibrato, and a Hall+Delay. The only downside to this is you can only use one of the effects at a time, though considering this is an amp, that's completely forgivable.

Alaab47
    atomic667
    Alaab47 wrote: seemeel wrote: Anyway, I daresay you've been fairly generous with this review. The Crush series is to Orange what the MG series is to Marshall... A stain on its product list. Don't you dare say that, on the MG series your 3 band eq (treble, mids, bass) is either on or off. Yea it has knobs to tweak, but they don't do anything. The orange eq is at least responsive, so if you don't know how to properly eq the amp that's user error... Comparing a decent amp with a toy like the MG series, you should be ashamed.
    Have you owned an mg? probably not. i have a mg250dfx and its ****in sweet if you know how to dial your EQs. i think most people who get the mgs are beginners, and then automatically disown them and shame them as bad amps because they suck balls at guitar. maybe they should learn how to play before they judge their equipment...
    MaggaraMarine
    seemeel wrote: That youtube video sounds awful... Some skilled shredding and a buckethead guitar can't disguise the fact that this sounds poor. Anyway, I daresay you've been fairly generous with this review. The Crush series is to Orange what the MG series is to Marshall... A stain on its product list.
    I don't like the player on the video to be honest. Yes, he can play but his playing sounds so... technical. I mean that the things he plays have no feeling (I don't like buckethead either). And that part sucks the most when he tries to play Stairway to Heaven. Don't know about the sound but if the effects are like "fast chorus" or "slow chorus" and you can't tweak them that sucks. And can you even have reverb and chorus at the same time? Or delay? If you can't tweak delay time or chorus speed that sucks.