Crush Pro CR60C review by Orange

Orange: Crush Pro CR60C

The Orange CR60 is a Chinese made solid state amplifier. Have I lost you yet? It has a power circuit based on the Rockerverb and it sounds unmistakenly "Orange." It is a two channel, footswitchable amp with an effects loop. It also has a built in reverb with three types (spring, hall and plate). I use a Strymon Flint and at performing volumes (i.e. switching from the amp to the Flint, there is not much of a difference). Understand, that is for mild use. The Flint does a lot of things that the built in reverb will never do, but switching from a very mild verb setting in the amp to a swirling cavern in the Flint can be done easily and helps me keep my pedal rig super simple. 10 of 10 - This has every option you would expect to find on a two channel tube amp.

I prefer grit or "edge of break up" in most of my playing. I use it in a worship setting, but I try to avoid sounding exactly like every other worship guy in North America copping the Hillsong (i.e. U2) vibe. The drive channel is so excellent that I can use it in place of a drive pedal. I do use a Boss Waza Blues Driver, but more for a boost than the gain in the pedal. The great thing with the analog amp is being able to leave the Boss settings alone and getting two different results based on the channel. The sound is "Orange" all the way. If you don't like that crunchy, saturated gain tone, you will want to move on. Another thing to keep in mind is that this is analog which is not the same as a modeler - it has tube amp features and does not try to sound like anything other than the Orange rock machine that it is. It acts exactly like a tube amp in that regard, but does not have the same punch... not better or worse, but still not a tube. 8 of 10 - great tones, but the clean channel is not up to par with Fender, Roland or Vox solid state cleans.

The amp is built like a tank in the traditional orange tolex. I love it. I've only played it out for a couple months, but based on experience with solid state amps, it should stand the test of time. I typically do not play with a back up amp, but a DigiTech RP360XP in my trunk just in case. Again, I have the luxury of plugging directly into PA for my purposes. That said, there is nothing about the amp that suggests it won't last. The control knobs are all very clear and large. I also have the two button footswitch and again, it's built like a tank. 10 of 10 - but a very short window.

As noted, I play worship music that gets dirtier than the music that you would find in many large churches. I also play it in the student building and do a lot of pop-punk type music (RunKidRun, Switchfoot, etc.) and it really shines with that music. I use a Strymon DIG and Flint and the Waza Blues Driver... that's it. I wanted a simple rig that I could very easily manage and get volume swells one minute and full on rock 'n' roll the next and the Orange delivers. If you are looking for sparkly cleans, probably this will not be the amp. If you are on the fence about dropping big money on a tube amp, but are on a budget or don't want to lug around a hundred pound amp, this may offer a reasonable solution.

Ultimately, 9 of 10. I've played A LOT of solid state and tube amps, specifically those on the market today (not a lot of vintage gear). From a solid state perspective, this is hands down my favorite amp. I also like it a lot more than the budget priced tube amps (even the Vox AC10/15, Fender Blues Jr., etc.). It is not a tube amp, but it does sound terrific. It is absolutely a giggable amp at 60w and does not lose any clarity or punch at volume.