Crush Pro CR60C Review

3,571
reviews (2) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Crush Pro CR60C Reviewed by: mastomulligan, on july 21, 2015

Purchased from: Andertons Music Co

Features: The Orange Crush Pro CR60C is a 1x12 60 Watt solid state combo modelled loosely on Oranges legendary Rockerverb series but in a more affordable package. It features two channels; a clean channel (featuring a two band EQ and volume control), a dirty channel (featuring a three band EQ, a gain control, and a volume control), a master volume, and a reverb control which feature a mini-switch for three different kinds of reverb (spring, plate, and hall). As far as I'm aware this is a completely analogue circuit as apposed to a digital modeling amp, with the exception of the reverb which is to the best of my knowledge digital. The speaker is Orange's Voice of the World own brand, which comes standard in the vast majority of their available amps and cabinets. It weighs about 15Kg which isn't too bad in my opinion but does make it a bit awkward to move about if you aren't muscular. It came with the standard power cables (one for UK and one for Europe), a manual/safety booklet, and an orange catalog. Overall this is an extremely high quality of amp for below £400. // 8

Sound: I tend to play progressive rock and metal style stuff (for example Mastodon, QOTSA, and Devin Townsend Project) and this amp it pretty good for most of it, I've found that it tends to cope better with the looser more stoner rock side of that spectrum rather than the tighter modern sounds that you'd get from bands like The Devin Townsend Project or Dream Theater for example. I think this may just be the way that the amp is designed to handle mid range frequencies, as it seems to use them as the core of it's sound rather than the bass and treble so a scooped sound isn't going to be quite right with this amp in my opinion. Currently I'm using this amp for home recordings with a Partscaster Strat, a 1960's Rosseti Raver, and a 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio and it's extremely interesting to see how well it handles the three of them, particularly the Raver. I've carried out quite a few modifications on my strat to get it to the point it's at now, the biggest of which being putting in a set of Fender Standard Stratocaster pickups and then swapping the middle and bridge pickups by accident (I was doing a refinish/clean and didn't pay attention to wires but it sounds good and is an easy mod to carry out if you want to change the sound of your strat), I'd say that this guitar gives me the best rhythm tone for what I want to do with guitar and through this amp the odd wiring scheme really shines though. Due to the mod I'm able to play on the neck and bridge pickups at the same time which I've found is the tone that a lot of strats are missing as it's a pretty even tone with the kind of twang that you'd expect from a tele, which really mixes well with the darker midrange tone that you get from this amp. The Raver is a budget guitar from the '60s that i picked up second hand as a curiosity, it's features a shorter scale (not sure of the exact length) and a pair of P-90/Jazzmaster style pickups so as you can imagine it's my current go to guitar for anything even remotely grungy, which is an extremely easy tone to reach with this amp and guitar combo.

My Les is definitely my favorite recording guitar and if it wasn't so heavy (it weights about 9.5 or 10 lbs) I'd definitely use it for any live guitar situations that may come up, and this amp definitely hits it stride when faced with a double humbucking guitar. When using my Les I do the old trick of rolling the neck volume off for my clean tone so only really stay on the dirty channel of this amp because it feature the three band EQ rather than a two band, this combination pretty much has me sorted for any tone that I may need really. I've been blow away by the quality of reverb on this amp, I've really disliked reverb on guitars because I couldn't find one that responded to playing the way I wanted however Orange have really hit the nail on the head with the reverb in this amp, I tend to use it on the spring mode as it has just enough decay time to have an affect on consequent notes without being too muddy and it really adds to any clean work I do (I still dislike reverb on overdriven tones as in my opinion it makes them too messy for what I want to play with overdrive), it particularly adds to the ambient two handed tapping stuff I've been working on recently. Overall this is a very versatile amp, however it doesn't lend itself well to the tighter high gain sounds that some people prefer. I should also mention that the feedback you get from this amp is incredible so I'd definitely recommend it for anyone that uses feedback frequently in their music. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Orange amps tend to be extremely durable and hard-wearing, and this amp really is no exception. I would trust this amp to survive any situation I could throw at it both live and in a studio without much fuss. Obviously it'll experience the usual wear and tear from aggressive use, if you throw it down your stairs it will dint but i imagine it'll still work even if your stairs don't. However I imagine you'd have to be extremely abusive to be able to kill one of these things. I'd probably have gotten the 120 watt combo or head with a cab if I was gigging as a guitarist, as the 1x12 speaker is loud but I imagine that it'd encounter the same problems any 1x12 does when put against a drummer but micing the amp is always an option if needs must. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I really couldn't be happier with this amp, it covers everything I need from an amplifier currently but if I were to frequently gig as a guitarist I would definitely seek out one with a higher wattage and speaker size (more than likely from the same range). I've been very impressed by the quality from a sub-£400 amplifier and if it were to become lost or stolen I would certainly save up to buy another. I've not tried this amp out with many pedals yet, but I have my eyes on a DigiTech Whammy, a Walrus Audio Janus, and an Electro-Harmonix Hog so it will be interesting to see how this amplifier responds to them but I can't imagine it will have any difficulties. // 9

Crush Pro CR60C Reviewed by: jburdsinfuse, on february 09, 2016

Features: The Orange CR60 is a Chinese made solid state amplifier. Have I lost you yet? It has a power circuit based on the Rockerverb and it sounds unmistakenly "Orange." It is a two channel, footswitchable amp with an effects loop. It also has a built in reverb with three types (spring, hall and plate). I use a Strymon Flint and at performing volumes (i.e. switching from the amp to the Flint, there is not much of a difference). Understand, that is for mild use. The Flint does a lot of things that the built in reverb will never do, but switching from a very mild verb setting in the amp to a swirling cavern in the Flint can be done easily and helps me keep my pedal rig super simple. 10 of 10 - This has every option you would expect to find on a two channel tube amp. // 10

Sound: I prefer grit or "edge of break up" in most of my playing. I use it in a worship setting, but I try to avoid sounding exactly like every other worship guy in North America copping the Hillsong (i.e. U2) vibe. The drive channel is so excellent that I can use it in place of a drive pedal. I do use a Boss Waza Blues Driver, but more for a boost than the gain in the pedal. The great thing with the analog amp is being able to leave the Boss settings alone and getting two different results based on the channel. The sound is "Orange" all the way. If you don't like that crunchy, saturated gain tone, you will want to move on. Another thing to keep in mind is that this is analog which is not the same as a modeler - it has tube amp features and does not try to sound like anything other than the Orange rock machine that it is. It acts exactly like a tube amp in that regard, but does not have the same punch... not better or worse, but still not a tube. 8 of 10 - great tones, but the clean channel is not up to par with Fender, Roland or Vox solid state cleans. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amp is built like a tank in the traditional orange tolex. I love it. I've only played it out for a couple months, but based on experience with solid state amps, it should stand the test of time. I typically do not play with a back up amp, but a DigiTech RP360XP in my trunk just in case. Again, I have the luxury of plugging directly into PA for my purposes. That said, there is nothing about the amp that suggests it won't last. The control knobs are all very clear and large. I also have the two button footswitch and again, it's built like a tank. 10 of 10 - but a very short window. // 10

Overall Impression: As noted, I play worship music that gets dirtier than the music that you would find in many large churches. I also play it in the student building and do a lot of pop-punk type music (RunKidRun, Switchfoot, etc.) and it really shines with that music. I use a Strymon DIG and Flint and the Waza Blues Driver... that's it. I wanted a simple rig that I could very easily manage and get volume swells one minute and full on rock 'n' roll the next and the Orange delivers. If you are looking for sparkly cleans, probably this will not be the amp. If you are on the fence about dropping big money on a tube amp, but are on a budget or don't want to lug around a hundred pound amp, this may offer a reasonable solution.

Ultimately, 9 of 10. I've played A LOT of solid state and tube amps, specifically those on the market today (not a lot of vintage gear). From a solid state perspective, this is hands down my favorite amp. I also like it a lot more than the budget priced tube amps (even the Vox AC10/15, Fender Blues Jr., etc.). It is not a tube amp, but it does sound terrific. It is absolutely a giggable amp at 60w and does not lose any clarity or punch at volume. // 9

Comments