Dark Terror review by Orange

Orange: Dark Terror

Purchased from: Online

I'm currently using a Gibson Les Paul Studio with this amp. It has the stock pickups right now, but I will likely replace them with SDs before too long. I play a fairly wide spectrum of music, some of my favorite artists being BTBAM, Gojira, Mastodon, Frank Zappa, Phish, and Pink Floyd. This amp really does the crunchy and high-gain tones well, but unfortunately I haven't been able to crank it yet. You can get some nice cleans with this amp as well, but you'll definitely start to notice serious distortion with the gain knob past 4. It may be a little tough to get very warm, bright cleans or a jazzy tone.

This amp is a great match for the tones I'm chasing and gives a surprisingly diverse spectrum of tones. I got exactly what I wanted when buying this amp. I absolutely love the FX loop, high gain, and compactness of this amp (It's only a foot long!). If it were stolen, I would probably end up buying a Dual Terror instead as it would be better in a performing setting. Overall, I would recommend this amp to anyone chasing a Vintage British crunch tone or a sludgey/metal/high-gain feel. It's a great amp for the price, beats most tube amps in its price range.

I bought this amp on restock for 150$ less than the new price. However, the previous owner hadn't even taken the amp out of the gig-bag and had never opened the power cable either. I haven't had any problems with the tubes, but one minor flaw with the amp is that it's loud itself. Once the volume and gain are past about 12 o' clock, you'll start to hear some serious noise from the amp itself, but nothing serious.

I'll begin with an umbrella statement for this review: This amplifier is very versatile for the one tone (shape) knob and one channel it has. The main features I bought this amp over the Tiny Terror for were the FX loop and extra tube in the pre-amp. I use this amp for practice in my home with an Orange PPC 2x12 Open back loaded with V30s. Even with its surprising versatility, I may recommend the Jim Root Terror model to someone looking for 3-way tone control. This amp has 2 EL84s in the power amp, and they really scream. Don't listen to anyone who says they sound fizzy. As aforementioned, it's got an extra 12AX7 (3 in all) in the pre-amp compared to the TT's two. The effects loop tube is a 12AT7. One of my favorite features is the option to use only 7 watts of the total 15. There's not a large difference in volume between the two, but you can get great crunches at moderate volume with the 7-watt setting.

Supercolio
    This is a brilliant little amplifier... Next time I visit a shop that has one in stock I'll play hell out of this Possibly my next amp. Good review