Dual Terror review by Orange

Orange: Dual Terror

Since the dawn of Rock & Roll, Orange has been setting the standard for what a distorted guitar sounds like. The Dual Terror is a consistent addition to the Orange line of Holy Grail amplifiers. This amp is excellent at making mind numbing, ear crushing, silky smooth distortion at any volume. However this amp really lacks a solid clean tone. This could be in part to the single tone control knob on each channel, but the only clean sounds that it seems capable of generating is a very thin, almost surf rock sounding tone. It seemed that all of the body and presence of sound that this amp could produced was robbed from it as soon as the tubes ceased to be over-driven. Although the Dual Terror has two channels, they seem to have the same function, the same filters on each, despite different names. When all of the tone and volume knobs were set the same on both channels, they were indistinguishable. All this being said, the tube overdrive that is produced is unsurpassed by any other guitar amp on the market today.

The song remains the same with the Dual Terror amp. In an age of outsourcing and cutting corners, Orange consistently delivers the same rugged, reliable amps that it was forty years ago. The fuzzed out tones that it delivers remain as a staple in the world of rock. Stripped of it's classic Orange covering the Dual Terror promises to lead the way into a bright new future of classic Orange amplifier sound.

Orange amps have always been built like tanks, a feature that has never lost its appeal to musicians throughout the generations. The Dual Terror is no exception to the rule. Despite having no outside covering, it has a rugged metal housing that will withstand the toughest abuse the road has to offer. Even though the Dual Terror is built to withstand the brutal abuse of being used by a musician, it still weighs in at only 22 pounds a weight that any musician or roadie will be thankful for.

Most of the appeal of the Orange amplifiers lies in their simplicity of features and ease of use. The Dual Terror expands slightly on the usual minimalistic Orange design by adding a second channel, giving the Dual Terror both a Fat and a Tiny Terror channel. The Dual Terror expands on the ideals of lightweight, rugged, guitar amp offered by the Tiny Terror by adding another footswitchable channel and twice the power. The quad of EL84 output tubes are run in a Class A configuration to provide 30 watts. Like it's little brother the Dual Terror offers a wide range of output controls including a Full Power/Half Power option for running at 30 or 15 watts as well as a switch on the back panel for 4 output tubes or 2 output tubes. This gives the Dual Terror the capability to run at 30, 15, or 7 watts, allowing you to dial in the same amount of mind blowing distortion no matter what the volume. Each channel features the classic minimalistic Orange controls of just a single volume, gain and tone control. Ultimately I feel that it is the single tone control that leads to the downfall in the clean tone of this amp.

ProgFolk12
    tele-rat wrote: i've played one of these at the music store i work at and it, and it's bretheren the tiny terror are incredible amplifiers. These amps are as expensive as they are by virtue of the fact that they pretty much are some of the very best sounding amps out there, and there individually hand wired too as far as i know. Theses are actually farely decent prices for what you're getting, that being said, there are still more affordable amps out there to find ones own preferred sound. As for a clean channel, these amps (and good tube amps in genereal) are usually pretty sensitive to playing dynamic. ----- Why has everyone seem to have forgotten that our guitars also have there own volume control on them?! Want clean sounds? Dial in the best you can on the amp, then roll back the volume on your guitar, and then adjust the amp's volume accordingly. Jimmy Page always did this and i'm pretty sure he's a decent point of reference dudes!
    They're not hand wired, the hand wired TT costs over 600. And yes they sound good, but right now there are a lot of amps that offer the same or better features for the money. Valvepower make a boutique, hand wired 18 watter with proper power scaling for the same price as a TT. Enouugh said
    SEANOmd
    it IS pretty. classy, distinct, you know? and i hope the sound follows suit.
    HammettFTW
    Total Guitar gave this a 5* best buy and they usually give really solid reviews. They say the tone was phenomenal and the single tone knob, whilst it might alienate some, it gives a suprisingly wide range of tones. they thought cleans were glistening and the crunch is fantastic. If anyones considering a class A valve then look into TG's review of this.
    bebe17
    jean_genie wrote: I thought the cleans on the Tiny Terror were pretty solid. Not Fender clean, but great for jazz and blues. How are you getting clean tones? I turn the volume to about 3 o'clock, and then use the gain knob to bring it to the volume I want it to be at. This gives me just a hint of overdrive if I really pound the strings, so usually I roll the volume back on my guitar just a hair. No Class A is going to produce stunning, sparlking clean tones ... that's just not how they work. But for what it is, I thought the Tiny Terror did a pretty good job there.
    AC15's have amazing clean tones and they're class A...but that's the exception.
    tele-rat
    Nick184
    ihavenoname93 wrote: also i find orange amps to be ridiculosly overpriced.
    I totally agree. I really liked the Dual terror but at 450 just for the head without an FX loop or EQ? Get lost
    Drowning!Waving
    man nothing beats my EVH iii..and ive tried em all, thanks but no thanks ORange, i need a clean channel!
    ihavenoname93
    i tried the tiny terror, but i decided against it due to the lack of eq section, lack of good cleans, and absolutely no headroom. i wish they wouldve put in a clean channel, instead of a lead channel. also i find orange amps to be ridiculosly overpriced.
    TheBrownPenguin
    I question what the reviewer knows about the amp, I know its more versatile than my TT and the cleans are good you just have to turn the volume down on your guitar
    rokrdude
    no one matches fender cleans, but i like the idea of either just one tone knob or just volume and maybe gain...it forces you to mold your own sound
    FightinIrishPJ
    the tiny terrors have always been a love or hate thing... they make basically one sound/tone and if it's not your cup of tea, you'll hate it... a master volume would be stellar tho
    Res_Shred_Head
    keep in mind everyone that orange has made their name because of their simple controls and amazing distortion sound. If you are really looking for an amp that will provide a nice clean tone, look at a Marshall head. Personally I've heard the DT's clean sound and I think its great. Also it helps if you get the right cab to go with this.
    Andragon
    Great amp for classic rock, blues rock and some old punk rock [when overdriven] or smooth blues and a decent jazzy sound [when clean]. No less, no more.
    GuernZila
    ^i second this opinion, well at least the efects loop and then a 3 band eq on the fat channel, but keep the tiny terror channel the same so u can still get those tiny terror tones.
    ProgFolk12
    This. I liked the TT when I played it, and it kinda started the fahionable 15 watter phase, but for the price, you can get so much more features, and the competition is intense now: (Vox NT, Valvepower 18watt, Blackhearts etc)
    The^Unforgiven
    I think this amp is cool and hell, and I'm interested in it, but at over $800 I think an fx loop and at least a 3-band EQ would be in place.
    jean_genie
    BlaketheHero
    I have this amp, I don't feel like writing a whole review but thought I'd comment on a few things. I think the channels are a little different. I would agree with some other people that the fat channel really is just a little fatter and voiced a little darker than the Tiny Terror Channel. Which is why I use the Fat Channel for my clean tone. With Volume at 4 or 5oclock (pretty much all the way), tone at 11oclock, and Gain at 9oclock, I can get some pretty killer clean tone. Nice and rich with a bit of sparkle when playing in the upper registers. Granted, if I really dig in it grits up a little which has suited me and my music really well. Tiny Terror Channel destroys. Paired this with an Avatar 1X12 w/ a G12H30, sounds like sex. Also, this set up has been so amazingly portable and comfortable. And yes, it is still LOUD. Anyone looking at this amp should consider their speaker and cabinet combination. Wish it had a few things it doesn't(3band, built in reverb, FX loop) but whatever, I put my chain up front and it sounds fantastic. This has been a great amp for everything I do and it is totally worth the money. For what this amp is, I'd give it a 8 or 9/10, and would probably buy another if stolen or damaged.
    drewfromutah
    I also have to say, the two channels are NOT the same. There's a very noticeable difference. The fat channel is simply...fatter and has more bottom end. I'm wondering if the reviewer even tested the amp for more than 2 seconds.
    drewfromutah
    I just bought the DT and run it through a Mesa 4x12. It's amazing. The cleans aren't thin at all and the gain is the best I've ever had. $850 is NOT overpriced for this amp, especially since it's essentially 3 amps in one: gigging amp, practice amp, and recording amp, depending on how you set the wattage.
    Philly080
    I agree with everyone else. When I played through this in the shop it sounded very nice, but for the price it should have a few more features.