OR15H review by Orange

Orange: OR15H

Purchased from: Sweetwater.com

I'm using 2 guitars with the OR right now. I have a Strat with HSS pups and then an EC1000 with 85/81's soon to be 57/85 or 60. This amp readily plays blues/classic rock/hard rock. The amp's background noise is quiet until the gain goes over noon. Then hiss starts coming in but not to where I am bothered. It's acceptable noise per gain level. To me the OR15 is a Marshally Orange. I own a JMP 2203 and a DSL50 so I have Marshall reference tones to go from with me. To me it is Vintage voiced and excels there. If you want modern voicing go with the Jim Root or Dark Terror. The OR has a looser feel to the saturation. There isn't much clean headroom if you are rolling off from higher gain settings. It does roll off well using guitar volume if the gain isn't set too high. I prefer a dirty clean or a Marshall clean. I never reference Fender cleans cause I don't care for it. I won't take points off for this cause I'm going by what I like as a player. The amps saturation can be early break up to spit 'n fire but no way is it a modern gain. Again it's sounds and feels Vintage to me that is loose... Not flabby... And articulate. When chording I can hear all the strings. It's not tight but it isn't muddy either. Typical Orange warm or darkness yet it gets a bit Marshally with low mids and mids. I have rolled some of my ANOS preamp tubes and ended up with a Matsushita D getter (hairy Mullard) in V1, V2 has a Dario Miniwatt and then the PI has another MW. Sounds perty good. The OEM tubes were fine. I just happen to have lots of tubes. I did pop some JJ EL84's in but it seemed to lose some of its Marshallness so I put the OEM 84's back. They look like TAD's to me and sound like my other TAD's I have.

Love the amp. It's not my main squeeze but lately I play only it. It really is fun and it is a straight up "Rock" amp. I started out wanting a TT and played it in all its configuration's and loved it. I watched Chapper's & Captain's vid on the OR15 and ordered it. I wasn't disappointed. I still want the TT but think I will end up with a Dual Terror instead. It will be better for gigging if ever I get the chance to again. The OR and JMP are a great pair of Vintage voiced rock machines and I love having both in my stable. See if this works. There are a lot of turds on this vid and its directionless playing. Gains at almost 1pm. I do use a Transparent Overdrive in part of it. I say when I use it and turn it off.

YouTube preview picture

I've had it for about 3 months now. No issues but I am not gigging with it. The amp is Cathode biased so pop in matched power tube without having to bias. I think this amp would have no problems playing out live especially on top of a 412 cab. Most clubs around here use the house PA anyways so mic'd its a non issue. I'm giving it a 10 but understand I have only owned it for 3 months and it hasn't been out of the house. I have cranked it and I play it many times a day. Whenever I can. I would take a back up amp if I played out. Always.

15 watt Single channel amp. Dual EL84 3 12AX7's and 1 12AT7 for the EFX Loop. I play blues/classic rock/hard rock. I'm using this amp at home with a 412 loaded with Greenbacks. This is a very loud... Not boxy... 15 watt rock machine. It's a simple amp circuit and that's how I like my amps. Wasn't looking for the OR15 to do more than "rock". I'm not very diverse anyways. LOL. Can't think of anything else to add although it keeps telling me I need 500 characters still. Haven't I reached that yet? I also bought this Orange cause it has a loop. Something I prefer for my time based effects.

givemeajackson
    about Vern's review: i am a fulltime metal player, and in my opinion the OR15 does an excellent job at it, especially when it comes to old-school/brutal death metal. it's not so much a techdeath player's amp, for playing spawn of possession i'd get something different, but for slightly less technical things where tonal impact is more important than clinical clarity it's awesome. tried it also at GAK, with a PRS SE custom 24 7 7string. did drop A with ease, and in my case it wasn't fuzzy in the slightest bit (though i have heard a lot of vids where it has that fuzz to it, no idea how to get these tones. maybe i pick the wrong way to make things fuzzy, i pick hard like a madman) all in all i'm very impressed with this amp, as soon as i can afford it i'll get one.
    gay4slipknot
    This amp is awesome, played live and still managed to pump out enough volume to be heard over the lead guitarists 150W SS Marshall. It's basically a premium tiny terror.