PPC412 review by Orange

Orange: PPC412

Price paid: A$ 1200

Purchased from: Cranbourne Music

I'm currently running my (heavily) modified Les paul Custom through a Marshall JVM410H (also reviewed the amp) into this cab. The combination is, in a word, incredible. Orange cabs seem to be a perfect match to Marshall heads. There's a natural midrange response from the cab which really accentuates the growling, aggressive midrange of the overdrive channels on the Marshall. The bottom end is tight as a drum, big and powerfull without becoming overly boomy or woofy. High end response is present, but never harsh (provided you EQ your amp properly). But the real star is the midrange. The low mids are punchy and percussive, and the upper mids are crystal clear, the result of this is fantastic note definition no matter what level of distortion or clean tone your amp is putting out and no matter how ridiculous your chord shapes may be. This cab does exactly what a cab should, takes my favourite elements of the JVm, and accentuates them beautifull. It won't be a perfect match for all amp heads, obviously, but if you're playing something british, chances are, this thing will work wonders for your tone.

Orange amps in recent years are becoming more and more widespread, and there's good reason for it. Even if you're not a fan of their amps, it's defniitely worth checking out their cabs as, I believe, they are some of the best soudning and most versatile out there. In my 12 years of playing, I am yet to come accross a piece of gear than meets my needs so easily. Check one out now.

Quite simply, this is one of the most solid pieces of equipment I've ever encountered. I've come accross touring PA speaker boxes that are less solid than this thing. Those thick sides don't just give you fantastic tone, they make the cab as sturdy as you'll ever need it to be. I did initially have a slight issue with one of the corner caps coming loose, but that was after I caught it on the edge of a piece of trim on my car, and beleive me, the car came off second best and the corner was easily sixed with a steel mallet. That's how tough this thing is, you fix it with a sledgehammer. Nuff said.

This 50kg beast is a 2010 Orange PPC412 4x12 speaker cabinet. I figured I would review it since reviews on speaker cabs are sparse here on UG and in my opinion they're one of the most vital parts of anyone's rig. This is a big, simple, and effective bit of gear. constructed out of 13 ply birch and loaded with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers making it able to handle 240 Watts RMS. 16 Ohm impedence means it's a perfect match for most high end head units (electically at least anyway). It is, as I've mentioned, a heavy (and big) piece of kit. Weighing in at 50kgs and wider than most equivalent cabs, it can be a bit of a challenge to cart around, but certainly not to the point of it not being worth it. This is compounded by the lack of wheels on the cab. Orange have fitted it with their 'skid' design feet which, they claim, will improve bass response and tone due to coupling the cab with its environment more completely. To me, it smacks of cost cutting, and makes this already ungainly cab even more ungainly. I've dropped a few marks on features purely because there are only so many features you can put in a cab. Also the lack of wheels.

ProgFolk12
    Excellent Review. Gotta love orange cabs, but 50kg? That's the price of success I suppose
    gerrywm
    Question for the wise...what would you value a 30yr old Marshall lead1960 at? It has celestion speakers, dont have the model no off hand, sounds amazing, couple of marks on the trim but working perfect. Ive had it a few years and have always been curious, it was given to me so ive no idea
    FantasyIceMan
    reservedforchoi
    FantasyIceMan
    reservedforchoi wrote: FantasyIceMan wrote: Very good review. I'm currently using the Orange PPC 412 with my Orange rockerverb 100 Head. And what a sound that gives! Very very pleased. Only thing that might top it in my opinion are Mesa Boogies. I disagree (if you're talking about mesa cabs topping orange) I had a full stack of 2 mesa 412's and replaced them both with orange ppc412s. Best choice I've ever made. The response to my head (triple rec) is incredible, so much more clear than my mesa cabs before.
    I was referring to the heads. Didn't put that clear enough I guess. I totally agree with on the cabs. Their cabs are probably the best out there at the moment.
    jetwash69
    Weybl Himself
    jetwash69 wrote: So, reviewer, ever plug your 410H into a Marshall 1960A cab? If so, how's it compare? That's what I'm running and very happy with it. Hell that amp even sounds great running in directly to the 10" speaker in my crappy MG30DFX combo (at low Master Volumes). Thanks!
    I did try out a 1960A and a 1960B when I was doing my shopping. It all boils down to what you like and personally, I just really don't like any marshall cab that's been built since the mid-80s. There's just a certain tonal quality to them I can't quite put my finger on but I don't like it. To each their own though and if it sounds good to you, then crank it up!
    MitchGibson
    Blackstar Vs Orange I have just bought a ppc412 in black after trying it out against a Blackstar series 1 cab. Although the shop didn't have a 4x12 so it was a ppc212 vs a series 1 212. All I can say is the orange won hands down! It was quite an eye opener, as I thought it would be a tough decision, seeing as they are both supposed to be high end cabs both with V30's in them. But honestly against the ppc, the series 1 sounded a little fizzy and weaker sounding, with eq changes not being as prominent. This was the first cab I tried and I thought it sounded awesome, but its when I switched to orange I thought, oh my god. The ppc was ballsy and had a lot of depth, it really responds to the eq of the amp and has such a great character unique to orange, I also think the rubber matt underneath does make a great job of focusing the bass frequencies. I cant wait to get it home! Btw, the head I was using was a Blackstar series 1 100 head, absolutely brilliant head for classic to modern rock and metal, check it out you wont regret it. I have this head at home, hence why I wanted to do the comparison with it. Check my band out on Facebook, Fall Short For Glory, depending when you look at our page you might still see the pic of the cabs I tried out.
    xgeorges94
    im gettin a mesa dual rect head and i havnt decided really on a cab..i dont want to get a mesa cab...really kinda tryin to decide whether to go orange bugera or bogner..need something with nice tight low end but something i can still feel in my ****ing bones...warm mids and sizzling highs...really dont think id be disapointed with the orange cab based on the reviews ive read and videos ive watched just looking for a second opinion