PPC412 review by Orange

Orange: PPC412

Purchased from: Firehouse Guitars

PPC412 4 x 12" closed back speaker cabinet featuring (4) 60 watt Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. Orange speaker cabinets, like our amplifiers, are built to last using extremely rugged construction and manufacturing techniques. Every PPC412 is built using 13 ply high density 18mm Baltic Birch plywood. Our unique skid feet design helps to acoustically couple our cabinets to the stage, thus providing a tighter bass response and full range tone definition. The result is a laser-focused tone that’s full of warm midrange.

The PPC412 speaker cabinet is equipped with Celestion speakers, comfortable flush handles, and our legendary basket-weave grill cloth. The Orange PPC412 is 240 watts, comes with 4 Celestion Vintage 30's and weighs about 103 lbs or so. It is very hard to get around unless you are very strong or have casters (which must be bought separately)to help maneuver it.

In my opinion, it is great if you are going for a more midsy sound with not too much attack. It cuts through very well when playing live. It definitely has more of a lower end bass-like or midsy sound if that makes any sense. Compared to the Mesa, it has less attack and more of a presence about it. I play metalcore music and it works out great for harmonious/melodic leads. I will say however that it sounds near perfect for playing music like My Chemical Romance, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Fall Out Boy and bands like that. It excels at pop/rock/punk type stuff in my opinion.

The Orange is very durable, very tough and very dependable. I haven't had a single problem with it and I have been playing it for about a year now. It will get the scuffs and bumps here and there from the black of my amp head or bumping into something carrying it to a from the stage but every little mark I have ever gotten on it comes off with a warm damp cloth.

As for the hardware and how it was put together, I have taken it completely apart just to see what it looks like inside and it is very well put together. The back of the cab is very hard to get off (after taking the screws out) because it was cut so perfectly that even without the screws it would not fall out by itself. The interior of the amp looks and smells like it has never seen the light of day before, not a single scuff or nick anywhere. The screws look like they were screwed into the cab in one try and flawlessly. The wiring looks like it was precisely done and just overall, I saw not a single thing wrong with this cab. Unlike, the Line 6 cab I was using before. It looked like it was poorly made and not much time went into putting it together.

Like I said before, I play metalcore music (ex: Blessthefall, Motionless In White, Crown The Empire, Asking Alexandria, etc.) and also more rock-like music (Taking Back Sunday, The Used, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, etc.) I find that it excels VERY strongly in the rock type of music I play and it does very well for metalcore as well. I might end up purchasing a tube screamer to give my sound a bit more attack because it is a very midsy and bass-like sounding cab, but it sounds amazing overall.