Rocker 30 review by Orange

Orange: Rocker 30

Purchased from: Craigslist

I play a Gibson Explorer (57 Classic pickups) and I run this head through an Orange PPC412. I play in two bands, one is old school metal/southernrock/punk/hardcore/experimental, and my other band is more progressive/experimental/post-hardcore/jazz. The Dirty channel is warm and thick, with a huge midrange and responsive clarity. Old-school poweramp overdrive with some serious punch. I run the EQ flat and the gain at 8. The Natural channel is as simple as it gets, it keeps the identity of your instrument. Extremely clean and responsive. Crank the volume and it gets fat and crunchy with warm EL34 overdrive.

If you're looking for warm, thick, cranked British tone with some huge midrange punch and responsive clarity, this is the amp for you. I've been playing for 5 or 6 years now, and I'm in multiple bands. This amp is solid and handles everything I throw at it. I'll be using it for gigging and recording very very soon. I can't think of anything I don't like about it. Its simple, sounds amazing, and even looks great. I don't see myself playing anything else.

Built like a tank. This amp seems sturdy enough to stand abuse. I would gig without a backup amp. I plan on it. I'll take a set of backup tubes though, just for peace of mind. Since it's Class A all you have to do is crack open the back and change the tubes yourself. No biasing necessary. I haven't had any problems yet, and I honestly don't expect anything major to ever come up. Construction is solid and clean.

The Orange Rocker 30 is a two channel, 30 watt Class A valve head. The Natural channel has a master volume and that's it. The Dirty channel features a master volume, gain, and 3 control EQ. Classic Orange graphics for every function. No effects loop, but that makes the circuit simpler and more direct. Highly versatile, everything from blues to classic rock to 80's thrash to hardcore. 30 watts in Class A is loud and powerful. This amp has 2 EL34 tubes, and due to the nature of Class A amps, they are self-biasing. No adjustments to bias necessary. This amp is all about simplicity.

lunchboxattacks
    Update : Still think it's a great amp but I must say I think the clean channel fully cranked gives you a better overdrive type tone than the dirty channel. It just has more clarity. I did this last week and I faced my amp against the wall to make the volume level bearable (also emphasising the bass frequencies but not so much that it resulted in a muddy tone). On the other hand, the dirty channel gives you a better (more sparkly) clean tone so it's actually kind of backwards. However, with that said, the dirty channel still earns it's stripes in the last quarter of the gain dial.
    lunchboxattacks
    It really depends upon the volume you're gonna have it at, the output of your pickups and the heaviness of your touch. I can gig with it and coax a clean tone out of it but for others that may not be so possible.
    WhiteTempest
    lol some people have no idea what sarcasm is... some of these posts here are just there to piss of the know it alls here.. if you ask me marshall is not shit, orange is great nut dont be dissing solid state ams.. dunno if anyone knows but dimebag was using solid state randalls for the longest time..
    Ohock46
    jammer-91 wrote: I think it looks gay and is a rip off... VOX valvetronics is better
    you look gay and you are also a rip off, vox valvetronics is hybrid.